my faverolle has developed curled toes at 8 weeks old

parrotschickens

Chirping
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Montana
I have a 8 week old faverolle and I wanted to know if anyone knows if it's to late to help correct it's toes?
I've read about fixing couple day old chicks but can it be done with mine at 8 weeks old? I just noticed it having these problems about a week ago so it just started showing. I've read it could be from in breeding or vitamin deficiency,hatching could have gone wrong no matter what I don't want the chick to suffer it gets around fine now but in the future probably not. Are faverolles known for foot problems? I noticed my other two faverolles have a slight curl on one of there feet as well. Also, I notice they don't walk on there heel very flat they tend to use there upper part of there foot to walk is that normal for that breed? If it's not normal is there a way to fix that as well? If anyone can help me fix the chicks feet or advise me as what to do I would greatly appreciate it!

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

This site should help you out. Curled toes at 8 weeks are unlikely to be able to be fixed, but it is worth a try because curled toes can lead to future problems with roosting, and bumblefoot. It may be a process that takes more time and must be done in stages to fully straighten the toes. I don't know that I would try to get them straight on the first splinting, but perhaps over time you can get them to a more natural position.

I don't have faverolles, so I don't know if it is a breed specific problem, but I am guessing it is probably more likely a minor hatch defect.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom