My favorite chicken died to a cat

Yeah like cassowaries or Da baby the kangaroo from the urban rescue ranch
I hope that you can catch the cat and remove it from the area. Give it to the humane society if you have one or an animal rescue place the rehomes them. I had one kill three of my baby pet bunnies and I felt just like you did. I also have no use for them but they do get rid off the screws in my yard and the mice. I keep my Ducks under fencing and a covered top to protect them from them as I don't have any but our neighbors let them free range. There is a town in Ohio that made a leash law for cats and I thought it was a great idea. We have had brand new cars scratched up by the being on them and had to pay a lot to have them repainted. They can be a nuisance. Good luck with this situation and I am so sorry you lost your beloved Chicken.

I hope that you can catch the cat and remove it from the area. Give it to the humane society if you have one or an animal rescue place the rehomes them. I had one kill three of my baby pet bunnies and I felt just like you did. I also have no use for them but they do get rid off the screws in my yard and the mice. I keep my Ducks under fencing and a covered top to protect them from them as I don't have any but our neighbors let them free range. There is a town in Ohio that made a leash law for cats and I thought it was a great idea. We have had brand new cars scratched up by the being on them and had to pay a lot to have them repainted. They can be a nuisance. Good luck with this situation and I am so sorry you lost your beloved Chicken.
Thank you, my neighbors was attacked by the same cat he and actually needed about 3 stitches sadly.

He everyone, I'm really really really sad right now, because I lost my favorite hen this morning. Her name was Fluff bum and she loved eating out of my hands and her wormos (mealworms). I woke up this morning around 10:30 am and saw a bunch of feathers in the field and thought. "Oh no was there a hawk or did one of the younger roosters fight to main roo" but no I did my head count and there was everyone, but Fluffbum was no where to be seen. So I panicked and ran over to the feather pile and followed in through the field, through the forest and up the mountain and to the edge of my property. I believe it was a cat, more specifically this one black cat I normally see around the border of the chicken yard. Also while following the trail of feathers o found a rusty hole in the fence! And the feathers went up the mountain. I could tell Fluffbum put up a fight, because I saw some black cat hair too and the trail was a confusing zig zag showing she wouldn't go down without a fight. I'm so sad she's gone. I literally saw her trying to brood as she was sitting on about 4 eggs and had a big brood patch. I don't know what to do with the eggs? I'm soooo incredibly sad right now and I'm making a plan to catch and dispatch the cat. It has also tried to break into my aviary to get to my birds and quail so I hate that cat with all my soul. My dog almost killed that cat one time and broke one of it's legs and it healed fine. It also gets feed three times a day by a family down the street from my house. That means this cat killed it for sport not for food. When I catch the cat I will humanly dispatch the cat as although the cat did show no mercy I will humanly dispatch it as killing it nonhumanly would make me no better than the cat showing Fluffbum no mercy and giving her a slow painful death. What do you guys think should I kill it slowly or painfully, is that the right thing to do?

These are some photos to remember her by:
View attachment 3558399View attachment 3558400
the black cat could have killed your hen, but it wasn't for "sport". IT would have been for food, so the cat is not regularly fed, it was hungry. Maybe you should pen them at night! That would solve your problem. Try being a good farmer and protect your animals!!! No reason to kill an animal hunting for food when the owner is lackadaisical about protecting and properly containing her "pets"!!

the black cat could have killed your hen, but it wasn't for "sport". IT would have been for food, so the cat is not regularly fed, it was hungry. Maybe you should pen them at night! That would solve your problem. Try being a good farmer and protect your animals!!! No reason to kill an animal hunting for food when the owner is lackadaisical about protecting and properly containing her "pets"!!
Some cats kill for sport. My Son's cat brings them presents all the time, birds, mice, chipmunks, and squirrels. It gets fed all the time and has a huge self feeder that is always full. Cats do not have to be hungry to kill, they do it most of the time for sport. I would live trap it and give it to the humane society and if there is not one then dispose of it humanely.

Some cats kill for sport. My Son's cat brings them presents all the time, birds, mice, chipmunks, and squirrels. It gets fed all the time and has a huge self feeder that is always full. Cats do not have to be hungry to kill, they do it most of the time for sport. I would live trap it and give it to the humane society and if there is not one then dispose of it humanely.
Yes, cats are very destructive to birds and small animals, without predators like foxes or coyotes it's hard to keep them in check. When we had cats they would bring us presents even though they were well fed.

I’m so sorry for your loss I have the same problem with my neighbors dogs I did feel kinda bad because I caught one digging into the run and threw it over their fence (the dogs are both like 7lbs) the dog was fine and I don’t want to make enemies. Neighborhood cats have tried getting in but I have four protectors from cats My 130lb German shepherd mix Rusty, my 70lb coonhound black lab mix, my 5lb cat that hates other cats and chases them off while leaving the chickens alone, and my BB gun.

Cats who kill for sport don't carry a chicken off over hill and dale.

When I switched my cats from kibble to homemade I stopped finding piles of feathers from songbirds. There was something missing from the kibble and they supplemented themselves with robins and sparrows. I agree the cat is either not being fed enough, or is being fed a lesser quality food.

You could actually fix the problem by leaving food out for the cat.

I’m so sorry for your loss I have the same problem with my neighbors dogs I did feel kinda bad because I caught one digging into the run and threw it over their fence (the dogs are both like 7lbs) the dog was fine and I don’t want to make enemies. Neighborhood cats have tried getting in but I have four protectors from cats My 130lb German shepherd mix Rusty, my 70lb coonhound black lab mix, my 5lb cat that hates other cats and chases them off while leaving the chickens alone, and my BB gun.
I am surprised that your big dogs didn't go after that 7 pounder to at least scare it off. Loose dogs here get into a lot of trouble with ending in our pound and the owner paying a good fine to get them back.

Back
Top Bottom