My favorite chicken hates me.

I have three beautiful chicken girls and I love all three. I do have a favorite however, my little Easter egger. She’s so gentle and sweet and is my lap buddy. Unfortunately, I had to make an emergency trip out of state and was gone for a week. My husband stayed home and took care of them while I was gone. When I returned two of my girls approached me as normal and I saw no difference in their behavior. But my Egger wouldn’t give me the time of day. As a matter of fact when I went to let them out my first day back home, she tried to bite me when I tried to pick her up. Thinking maybe she didn’t recognize me I left her alone and gave her, her space. It’s now been 2 days and she avoids me but the other 2 still come around. She lets my husband pick her up but not me. Is this normal behavior? How long will it last? I had a cat who use to get mad at me when I would leave and come home. I’m guessing this is the same issue. Any suggestions to reintegrate with my beloved girl who has broken my heart and left me for my husband ?

You are on the 💩 list.
Maybe extra special treats hand fed to your girl? Just hang out in the run, sitting quietly and let them be around you.
When I first went back to work after Covid I was so busy I didn’t have time to spend with the girls at first. I’d let them out in the morning and my husband would lock then up. They got skittish and would scream if I picked them up. Now on my days off I try to spend at least 10-15 minutes a day with them. Even if it’s just talking to them while I clean. They have since forgiven me. I hope your girl forgives you.

I'm so sorry. My heart hurts for you. I can relate somewhat as my girls are molting, which has made them moody and not wanting to be touched. It's not really the same thing but I do feel your pain. I agree with the extra special treats offered by hand. I'm going to boil some eggs for my girls now as they usually go insane for them. Wishing you the best and I hope little Miss cold shoulder will warm back up to you very soon

I have three beautiful chicken girls and I love all three. I do have a favorite however, my little Easter egger. She’s so gentle and sweet and is my lap buddy. Unfortunately, I had to make an emergency trip out of state and was gone for a week. My husband stayed home and took care of them while I was gone. When I returned two of my girls approached me as normal and I saw no difference in their behavior. But my Egger wouldn’t give me the time of day. As a matter of fact when I went to let them out my first day back home, she tried to bite me when I tried to pick her up. Thinking maybe she didn’t recognize me I left her alone and gave her, her space. It’s now been 2 days and she avoids me but the other 2 still come around. She lets my husband pick her up but not me. Is this normal behavior? How long will it last? I had a cat who use to get mad at me when I would leave and come home. I’m guessing this is the same issue. Any suggestions to reintegrate with my beloved girl who has broken my heart and left me for my husband ?
She is upset with you. I imagine she’ll get over it in a few more days.

She's just upset that you left. Chickens are moody like that. 😏 Just give her some time and she'll forgive you.

Back
Top Bottom