My favorite hen is sick Please help!*poo pic* (sorry)

meriruka

Songster
12 Years
Oct 18, 2007
My two year old Red Star Rosemary, has been lethargic and not really eating for a few days. She stands around and moves very slowly when she actually does move.
She has not been laying, but I thought it was because she is moulting. I brought her in the house and fed her hardboiled egg & yoghurt and put her in a quiet corner to rest. I noticed the next morning there is only 1 poo in the cage. I massaged her crop and her abdomen and she ate a little after that. Again this morning, only 1 poo in the cage and it looks odd. Half of it was a yellow foamy stuff and the other half was green squiggles (like cooked spaghetti, but green). I was thinking about standing her in some warm water. Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the green stuff is poo, it just looks like it was squeezed through a small hole, like when you decorate a cake and squeeze the icing through the tip.

Ok. I just got a visual I really didn't need. How about caulk out of a tube?

She's still not pooping and not really interested in food. I'm going to try the warm bath. How deep should the water in the tub be? What temperature for the water?Is there anything else I should do?

Update. Gave her a bath. Now, instead of being unhappy, she's wet and unhappy. The hairdryer just freaked her out, so I toweled her off and set her on the towel in the cage and covered it with a blanket so she's warm. I feel like this is hopeless.

Last edited:
Do you have a hot water bottle you could place under her? Also, if she's eggbound she might need lubing. Now I've never done this, but I'm darn sure I've read about it here...so I hope some experienced foks will jump in! Good luck with baby girl...

I have never had anything like this happen to my girls. I hope she is doing better. I hope someone else who has experience comes along soon to help you out.

It is usual for one chicken to have worms and the rest of the flock don't?
Well., at this point I'm willing to try anything.
She's getting bony and not eating, the bath didn't do any good, she looks so sad. So, what do I give her for worms? I've got a TSC and an Agway (Southern States) , but no vet that will see chickens. I feel like such a horrible mom because I can't make her better...

Back
Top Bottom