My feedstore didn't have turkey starter....

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Whne I went to pick out my turkeys yesterday, they didn't have any turkey starter! I think that is stupid, because they had 50 poults they were trying to sell and no feed to start them on. I asked the clerk if they were out, and she said flockraiser's fine to start turkeys on. Now I'm confused. I remember hearing from another clerk that they have to have turkey starter--because it's higher in protein. Isn't turkey starter like 28% protein and Flockraiser is only 20% protein. So, can I substitute Flockraiser for turkey starter safely or not? I was gonna use the last of a bag of gamebird starter that was sitting in the shed, but a mouse beat me to it. If Flockraiser isn't acceptable, what about gamebird starter? I know it's really high in protein.
EDIT: I looked it up online and Purina doesn't even lsit turkey starter on their website! Gamebird starter is 30% protein--Is that too high in protein for day-old turkeys? What can I add to boost the protein?

Last edited:
I had trouble getting a feed for my turkeys last year when they were little. I did raise them on chick starter with some game bird feed thrown in. As they got bigger I switched over to turkey pellets. They grew out fine and healthy and graced out Thanksgiving table deliciously.

Since I mail ordered my turkeys... two months before the feed stores would get them in late may... they also did not have turkey starter, however, I am using game bird starter, which is 28% protein. They went from 2.5 ounces to 6 ounces in 7 days... and will be weighing them again tonight.... so my guess is game bird starter will work out fine.

you can feed your poults 28% gamebird starter feed.thats what you grow turkeys out on.if my memory is right i fed mine that feed for 3wks.an then on to reg chick feed.

UPDATE: I went back to the feedstore and just as the guy was gonna load the Game Bird starter in the car, I went around the corner of the aisle and what to you know but THERE WAS BAGS OF TURKEY STARTER! YAY! I don't know if it just came in or what, but now I have some and am feeding it to them.
smile.png

If you get stuck again, TSC have a 24% starter that they recommend for turkeys, geese, quail, peafowl etc.

Back
Top Bottom