1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My feedstore didn't have turkey starter....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Apr 4, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Whne I went to pick out my turkeys yesterday, they didn't have any turkey starter! I think that is stupid, because they had 50 poults they were trying to sell and no feed to start them on. I asked the clerk if they were out, and she said flockraiser's fine to start turkeys on. Now I'm confused. I remember hearing from another clerk that they have to have turkey starter--because it's higher in protein. Isn't turkey starter like 28% protein and Flockraiser is only 20% protein. So, can I substitute Flockraiser for turkey starter safely or not? I was gonna use the last of a bag of gamebird starter that was sitting in the shed, but a mouse beat me to it. If Flockraiser isn't acceptable, what about gamebird starter? I know it's really high in protein.
    EDIT: I looked it up online and Purina doesn't even lsit turkey starter on their website! Gamebird starter is 30% protein--Is that too high in protein for day-old turkeys? What can I add to boost the protein?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had trouble getting a feed for my turkeys last year when they were little. I did raise them on chick starter with some game bird feed thrown in. As they got bigger I switched over to turkey pellets. They grew out fine and healthy and graced out Thanksgiving table deliciously.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since I mail ordered my turkeys... two months before the feed stores would get them in late may... they also did not have turkey starter, however, I am using game bird starter, which is 28% protein. They went from 2.5 ounces to 6 ounces in 7 days... and will be weighing them again tonight.... so my guess is game bird starter will work out fine.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can feed your poults 28% gamebird starter feed.thats what you grow turkeys out on.if my memory is right i fed mine that feed for 3wks.an then on to reg chick feed.

5. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    UPDATE: I went back to the feedstore and just as the guy was gonna load the Game Bird starter in the car, I went around the corner of the aisle and what to you know but THERE WAS BAGS OF TURKEY STARTER! YAY! I don't know if it just came in or what, but now I have some and am feeding it to them.[​IMG]

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Game bird or chick starter would be fine for them too. My guys usually get a mix of chick and game starter and they do wonderfully.

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    If you get stuck again, TSC have a 24% starter that they recommend for turkeys, geese, quail, peafowl etc.

8. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    You can also throw in blood meal worms for extra protine. Plus its fun watching them fight over them. C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by