My female duck died, should I get another one for my male duck?

please do not leave a duckling with him, or one single female. He does need companionship, but 1 drake can easily overbreed and exhaust a female, sometimes causing injury or even death. The correct ratio is 4 or 5 female ducks for every 1 drake. If you were to get one drake, it is likely they will fight, I believe muscovies are known for being a little aggressive? Not certain on that, but I think more drakes would be risky.
If you are able to get a few ducks for him, that would be good, but try and choose a breed that isnt too much smaller, I guess female muscovies? I don't know a whole bunch about this breed, I only keep pekins/aylesburys myself, but definitely more than just one female...
He's a very unusual duck in that he likes to have a female to watch over and take care of. He's a playboy who likes to chase all the other females, mallards, or anything else, but he treats his girl like gold. Protects her, makes sure she eats first and watches over her like she's the queen. We did find a female for him and he's picked up where he left off with his last girl. He's such a gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom