My Finished Tractor

that' beautiful. i printed it out so i can copy it!

btw, i bet it's heavy because of the plywood. the next one you build, i would make it to where you can hook on the plywood for a winter tractor or when they are still too young and take it off and hook on tarp for a summer tractor. that way if it's not raining, you can just take the tarp off if they need more air. that would make it alot lighter.

Just had an idea for when those birds begin to outgrow their beautiful new home. Make another the same size or a bit larger but w/only the hardware cloth for the run/pen area to sit side by side of the first. Use the first one as a coop only and the second for the run, moving each individually but setting side by side. They'll have twice the room that way when its needed.

From everything I've read, meat birds can't be compared to layers in terms of space. Joel Saladin (THE guy for pastured poultry,) keeps 100 in 10x12 pens.

The tarp is a good idea. I only used the OSB because I had it already from the layer coop I'm building, and didn't want to buy anything extra if I didn't have to.

I have a couple of questions about this tractor. (Could apply to any tractor I guess)...

1. When you relocate the tractor, do you move the chickens to a separate holding area, or do they just walk along with the tractor as it is moving?

2. When it comes time to move the chickens into the freezer, how do you catch them? Do you have to remove the cover off the back end of the tractor?

Thanks

Tim

The chickens will learn to move with the tractor. The first few times will be awkward and maybe a few will slip out the back under the tractor. But, after 4-5 rotations they just follow the tractor as it moves.

I cilmb into the tractor and hand the birds out to my wife who then loads them into the pickup or crates.

Quote:
Haha, I honestly hadn't thought about that. I'm sure it won't be pretty though.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom