My first baby goats!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by nhchickmom, Apr 2, 2009.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Hi All,

Just had to share my very exciting news that my husband finally gave in and let me get two goats. They were just born and we will be picking them up at the end of April. We chose to get wethers as we (or I guess really I) want to start with just pets and go from there. I am so excited. We are building our little hobby farm of one dog, eight chickens and two goats!! [​IMG]

2. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Just wondering [​IMG] What are people's thoughts on raising chickens and goats together. WE have a very large fenced area about 1600 sq. feet, but a small coop, only about 30 sq. ft, but with 7 foot celings. Do you think this coop size could house 8 chickens and two med. goats for the winter months?

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats on the goats! I'm sure the space is enough, but you might have trouble keeping the goats out of the chicken feed.

4. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't think I would house them in a 15x15 room during the long days of winter with a bunch of chickens. It would be a great goat space, or a great chicken space, but housing them in a confined area could spell disaster for your chickens. Goats tend to get testy if they are confined in small places too long. Can you divide the space? Maybe give the goats a 6x10ish area?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I think we need pictures [​IMG]

6. Jazlyn

Jazlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    South Mississippi
    Quote:You are absolutly right!

Congats!

My free range chickens do fine with the goats. I have one that almost never leaves Helix my 8mo. baby buck. Even after we changed his pens she went along with him. They even sleep snuggled up together along with Mr. big his goat companian. I have also on accation seen some of the other chickens sleeping on or with the goats.

The only problem we have seen is that when the goats get excited they some times step on the chickens feet but the are mini goats & the chickens seem ok.

What kind are you getting?

7. Saveadane

Saveadane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    DFW, Tx
    Quote:The OP said that the chicken coop is approximately 30 sqft. So it is roughly 4x7 or 5x6. If the building was 15x15 it would have 225 sqft, plenty of room to split up 8 chickens and 2 goats.

Personally, I would build a secondary structure for the goats, and remember to build it bigger than you think you need, because once you get these little guys home you will fall in love and end up adding to your herd in no time at all. Besides, if you start now you will get it finished before summer hits and it gets too hot outside.[​IMG]

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I keep my two Nigerian Dwarf goats in the chicken run with my chickens. But, most of the time the gate is open and they all free range. At night the chickens are locked in their own coop and the goats have their own shelter to sleep in; it's inside the chicken run.

The biggest issue with them being together is to keep the goats from getting into the chicken feed (that can be a major task as goats are VERY persistent and LOVE chicken food). They can eat too much and too quickly and bloat... that can kill them.

The other issue is to keep your chickens from pooping on the goat feed/hay. I keep my hay in the barn and also covered with a tarp so that animals can't get on it and poop on it.

Alpine wethers are likely to get to a pretty good size so they need a large area to be really happy. Give them toys also (wooden cable spools to jump on, old tires buried half way into the ground, large old tree trunks with no branches, etc.) as that will keep them entertained and happier.

Pictures, pictures, pictures.... [​IMG]

9. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yep keep the chicken feed where the goats cant get to it...better to feed the chickens and goats separately when they are put up for the night. Layer isnt good for any type of goat and will cause you BIG problems later. I dont feed mine their layer till everyone is put up for the mite and then in the mornings the layer pellets are put where they cant get to it.
    Good luck

10. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thanks for all the input. I am going away for the weekend, but will post some pics of my current coop probably Sunday evening. Thanks again. I look forward to your thoughts after seeing pics.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by