My first batch is in the bator!

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
So I did it. I got me an incubator. Hova Bator Genesis 1588. With auto turner.

Not sure how this will turn out but this will be my trial run. No longer have a roo and these are all from my 5 1/2 month old pullets. Collected the first few days of eggs post rooster. Kept at room temp and now they are setting so time will tell.

Not expecting greatness but more having a trial run and if there is success then, bonus!

All are production RIR, brahma and one presumably black asian mix mamas and daddy was also a black asian mix.

Also a couple KC eggs with likely Pekin daddy but possible rouen. Looking forward to some future candling. (Which I should try when? In order to expect to see any development starting?)

So I did it. I got me an incubator. Hova Bator Genesis 1588. With auto turner.

Not sure how this will turn out but this will be my trial run. No longer have a roo and these are all from my 5 1/2 month old pullets. Collected the first few days of eggs post rooster. Kept at room temp and now they are setting so time will tell.

Not expecting greatness but more having a trial run and if there is success then, bonus!

All are production RIR, brahma and one presumably black asian mix mamas and daddy was also a black asian mix.

Also a couple KC eggs with likely Pekin daddy but possible rouen. Looking forward to some future candling. (Which I should try when? In order to expect to see any development starting?)

You might see something at 5 days, definitely 7. Some people don't look till 10 but I was a newbie and kept checking, it was so exciting to watch then develop.

You might see something at 5 days, definitely 7. Some people don't look till 10 but I was a newbie and kept checking, it was so exciting to watch then develop.
I understand that! That's me! I want results...like...RIGHT NOW lol. I remember a post here not long ago where someone candled every day and posted fantastic info with pics. I'm going to try and find it again here shortly. I am one of those "want more info than I really need" type gals lol. I am going to try and hold off til day 7...we shall see. Trying to remind myself I want to give them the best chance possiblemore than I want to see progress!

UPDATE:

Well, I originally had 30 eggs cooking. 28 chicken and 2 duck. I candled at day 5. Then at 7 to learn differences. (Watched the video in the link above in comments for reference). And again today. yes I know I am candling too much really but these are pullet eggs and more of a learning experience first time around...hopefully with a happy ending or 30 lol.

Anyhow, day 5 and 7 did show changes. But very minimal. Still quite interesting. Tonight is the end of day 12. And oh boy!! I got a good glimpse of all my babies flip flopping away!:celebrate

Now, I have no proper candler. And no GOOD small flashlight soooo...I crafted a decent way to use my phone flashlight. I can juuuust make out wiggly life in my dark eggs. The light ones are very easy. And the duck egg is fun to watch!!

So after checking on them all, I removed 3 clearly unfertilized eggs and one lost soul. Blood ring was clearly visible:hmm. One of the 2 duck eggs is also infertile and has been removed. 2 eggs are in question yet. So even if those 2 are a loss, that leaves me 23 fantastically bubbly, wiggly little lives so far...of 30.

Here's to the next week! Looking forward to posting success!! I am sooo excited to see this through and know I helped create lives!!:love

UPDATE:

Well, I originally had 30 eggs cooking. 28 chicken and 2 duck. I candled at day 5. Then at 7 to learn differences. (Watched the video in the link above in comments for reference). And again today. yes I know I am candling too much really but these are pullet eggs and more of a learning experience first time around...hopefully with a happy ending or 30 lol.

Anyhow, day 5 and 7 did show changes. But very minimal. Still quite interesting. Tonight is the end of day 12. And oh boy!! I got a good glimpse of all my babies flip flopping away!:celebrate

Now, I have no proper candler. And no GOOD small flashlight soooo...I crafted a decent way to use my phone flashlight. I can juuuust make out wiggly life in my dark eggs. The light ones are very easy. And the duck egg is fun to watch!!

So after checking on them all, I removed 3 clearly unfertilized eggs and one lost soul. Blood ring was clearly visible:hmm. One of the 2 duck eggs is also infertile and has been removed. 2 eggs are in question yet. So even if those 2 are a loss, that leaves me 23 fantastically bubbly, wiggly little lives so far...of 30.

Here's to the next week! Looking forward to posting success!! I am sooo excited to see this through and know I helped create lives!!:love
It's so exciting. I hope it all goes well, look forward to following your journey.

So exciting!! Congrats! It is so much for to go through the incubating process. I candles at about a week and right before lock down. That way if there was no sign of life you could save your self the exploding of a rotten egg. Good luck! Looking forward to following along.
Yes ma'am! Idk how long an egg puts up with that heat before it explodes and I was so not excited about that idea! Lol so I was afraid to let them be for too long. Good to know they are ok for that long! So if I can stop myself (yah right) then I'll wait until the 30th and candle one last time. But I sure am enjoying learning how fast/slow they develop and such!

Back
Top Bottom