My first batch of shipped eggs arrived

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by milleryardchx, Jun 10, 2009.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Well here they are! Not as dark as I was expecting for black copper marans eggs but all arrived with no cracks or breaking. they are about the color of some of my barred rock eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Huh, those are pretty light BCM eggs. But on the bright side, it looks like they all came intact. I'm excited for you!
    Jenny

3. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    here is our second order of Black Copper Marans from a different breeder. big beautiful eggs i ordered 6 she sent 10 3 were bad we blew them out to show the record of egg color our stock came from.

[​IMG]

these eggs are almost double the size of our first order. I don't think i even want to incubate the small wrong color eggs. I might do a few as a first batch in my new homemade incubator but if their hens just put them in with my eating egg hens not with my breeding hens i'm trying to set up for Black copper marans

here are a 4 of the good eggs from breeder 2 here are the others
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, that's a big difference! It is possible that the hens were near the end of their 'cycle', but a responsible breeder shouldn't even sell eggs like that. But the other ones are GORGEOUS!!

5. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:they might be but the egg size are smaller than my pullet eggs i have never goten this small of eggs from my hens even at end of the cycle

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I didn't even notice that part, I was looking at the color [​IMG]

But I understand what you're saying. I had gotten some ameraucana eggs from one person, very pretty blue, but not much bigger than some of my bantams eggs. I just got some more ameraucana eggs from someone else, the color is not as blue as I would like, but these eggs are probably twice as big as the other ones I had gotten! It could be that they have young birds? Though that wouldn't make them a lighter color......Just set them and sell the babies, that's what I would do [​IMG]

7. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    i will set them but the eggs are so small haha i don't see how a a BCM chick will fit in it

8. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I spoke with the breeder and he says they are pullet eggs that they would be larger and darker if they weren't new hens [​IMG] we will see how they go in the incubator. my other ones though all 6 are under a broody at my uncles house as of tonight

9. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Hopefully you got a good deal on the pullet eggs [​IMG]

10. alanb

alanb In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Bantams are said to be "Broody" ? ... If this is correct , I would like to have a few for the sole purpose of setting on Egg's !! I've never had one and they are hard to find in my area ... Is there any preference in breeds for my program ? Thankyou [​IMG] ALANB .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: