My first broody.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jurrasiccluck, Mar 17, 2018.

1. jurrasiccluck

jurrasiccluck Chirping

Jan 18, 2017
    I have recently had one of my tiny hens go broody, which I am fine with, but it seems like today and yesterday she was in like a trance. She doesn't want to eat or drink and strangely doesn't react when I touch her. Help!

LilJoe and Fields Mountain Farm like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Is she sitting on eggs?
    If not...try to break the broodiness but removing her from the area.
    If she doesn't eat and drink she will go down hill.

3. jurrasiccluck

jurrasiccluck Chirping

Jan 18, 2017
    Yes she's sitting on eggs and I would say she's about day 5 today. She growled at a hen while it was laying eggs in the next box so at least she's alert and I have 2 roosters so the eggs are fertile. That's her in my profile picture.

4. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Not eating or drinking is normal for broodies. She probably goes out once a day or every other day without you knowing.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That's pretty normal broody behavior.

6. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Sound like she's being a perfectly normal broody! She will come off the nest periodically to eat and drink and do her business. Don't worry and try not to mess with her much. You should have lil fluffy chicks in a couple of weeks! :celebrate:fl

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  8. jurrasiccluck

jurrasiccluck Chirping

Jan 18, 2017
    Also I have 10 eggs in incubator that will hatch a week before hers if any problems should occur can i put the eggs in the incubator?

9. i would leave them out unless the hen abandons them. let her do her mommy hen thing

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your broody is acting just like a broody. She will come off the nest once a day or so to eat and drink. Broodies like to think they're being sneaky when they come off the nest to take care of their daily business, so she's not likely to do so while you're watching her. You don't want to feed and water her on the nest or she may poop in there and soil the eggs. If that happens, they're not likely to hatch.

You could put the eggs in the incubator with the others, but then you will be dealing with a staggered hatch. Possible, but not real easy with just one incubator. If you had something you could use for a hatcher, it would be easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: