My first broody!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UGAchick, Jun 22, 2010.

1. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    And I am so excited!!! I went to check on the flock this afternoon, and Henny was sitting on the nest. I went back a few hours later and she was still there. I tried to lift her and she puffed up like a marshmallow and hissed like a snake. So I let her be.

I went back a couple hours after that and did another test. I lifted her again (and got the same reaction), and noticed that she is missing most of the feathers on her underside. She also felt really hot. So I let her be.

Then I decided that since I am having pretty poor luck with the incubator, that I would take the eggs out of there and put them under her. I hope this works!! They were shipped eggs from the June egg swap. I would be so excited if they hatch!!!

She is a bantam hen (of unknown and probably mixed heritage) who is now sitting very comfortably on 12 serama eggs and two of her own. I took the two that she was sitting on from her because I didn't want her to have a staggered hatch. I am a little concerned that the seramas might hatch before her eggs (even though they were set on the same day), but it should only be off by a day or two. The eggs were in the incubator for six days and I had yet to candle. Shouldn't matter right? If they aren't good then she will kick them out?? I am new to this broody business!

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I can't help you with answers but I have my first broodies, 2 at the same time sitting on the same nest. It is the first time in 3 years I've been without a rooster...wouldn't you know it. I had to scramble to find fertile eggs for the first and then again for the second. Mine chicks will be a surprise to us all. Good luck to both of us.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    You will need to candle them. Mine have sat on nothing and never kicked the bad ones out. i am sure that each broody hen does it there own way but make sure and candle! You don't want one to explode!!!! YUCK!
    I have also taken them from the bator and put them under the hen. I figure they can do a better job than I can and I have also taken
    them from the hen and put them in the bator.
    Good luck and have fun waiting!! LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by