My first broody!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joletabey, Jun 27, 2010.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Harriet, one of my Black Sex Links, went broody Friday afternoon. She was on two eggs, neither of which were fertilized, since she and her sister free range, and the roosters are in a pen. So OF COURSE, I sneakily traded her two for 5 hopefully fertilized eggs- here she is, on her nest tucked between hay bales in the horse barn. I am going to slip wood behind her and put a board in front of her closer to hatching time if she sticks with this-
    And I thought sex link chickens didn't go broody!!!
    [​IMG]

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    She looks like a mommy that I wouldn't want to tangle with. She just had that evil eye look on her face. Cute pic.

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Oh, but they do! I thought the same, but my comet has been sitting on golfballs for nearly a week now. I am NOT slipping eggs under her butt either, have too many chicks running around now as it is. Broodies have been an epidemic around here this year. I've got 3 of them hogging up my 4 hole nesting box, [​IMG] and I am soo grabbing the bucket of ice water tomorrow to "cool" them off! I really do hate to do it, but no one around here seems to want any cute little EE chicks! Huh?? Whassamatter with people! lol

Good luck with your broody and babies, there really is nothing cuter than a momma and her brood. I really would've loved to let the three blobs hatch eggs, but...gotta be realistic here!

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

If I lived nearby, I'd take some of your EE chicks!

I have a passel of them in the incubator, but I'm looking to build a moderate flock of blue-, blue-green-, green-, etc, egg layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by