My first chick hatched naturally

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by navschickies, Oct 26, 2013.

1. navschickies

navschickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Lutz, Florida
    Our little incubator broke, so we haven't hatched chicks in months. We have 38 chickens (RIR, Jersey Giants, Bantam Cochins, and a Japanese Bantam). One of our Jersey Giants fought me every time I went out to collect eggs, so finally I decided to let her have her way. She was originally sitting on 5 eggs, but I didn't mark them and 5 turned into 8. I'm not sure which we're the original 5, and how many days later those other 3 got into the nest. 2 days ago, day 21, I listened to the eggs when she got off of them to eat. I heard chirping from one, and yesterday it hatched! This morning another one has pipped. We want to let her do this all naturally, but I haven't seen her get off the nest with that first baby for it to get anything to drink yet, should I be worried? Should I remove the chicks when they hatch and take them to water and then give them back to momma? How long will she wait for the others to hatch? So many questions.[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the hatch! The chick will not need food or water for the first 2-3 days. If it's not hot where you are it will be fine for 3 days. The broody will wait and give the remaining eggs time to hatch, but will likely get up to have a drink and some food and take care of any hatchlings by tomorrow, possibly the day after. Put some food and water nearby for her, for when she gets up. Chick starter for mom and the chicks. The hen can eat the starter, but the chicks should not get any layer feed, not until they are approaching laying age (around 17 weeks or later). Make sure you provide water in a shallow dish to prevent accidental drownings.

3. navschickies

navschickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Lutz, Florida
    Food is set out and I put the small waterer from the brooder near them for the chicks. Just checked them and 2 more have hatched!!! [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

5. navschickies

navschickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Lutz, Florida
    [​IMG]
    4 chicks now! 2 eggs broke, tiny premature babies that weren't fully developed. 2 eggs left, but they may have been laid later. I'm leaving them in the nest a while longer to see what happens.

6. theabee

theabee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Ooo pictures! mOre pictures! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. navschickies

navschickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Lutz, Florida
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    I'll try to get some better ones of the babies tomorrow. Mama was giving me the evil eye every time I came out to check on them today.

8. navschickies

navschickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Lutz, Florida
    [​IMG]

9. navschickies

navschickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Lutz, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Looks like we got two new RIR and two more Giants

10. theabee