My first chick just hatched....Now what do I do?...Please help!

zigzag3337

Songster
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Callahan, FL.
The chick was hatched in my homemade hatchery.
Humidity is 68%
Temperature is 102*

I have opened my 2 vent holes in the bator. Now what do I do? Is the temp and humidity okay?

I don't want to harm the chick. Right now it's still vet wet. was hatched about minutes ago.

At hatching I had my temp at 100-102 in a still air hatcher... and humidity was kept as close to 70% as I could keep it. Dry hatching doesnt work for me, but I'm high altitude and in the desert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being this was my 1st time. I started with only 2 eggs. I don't think the other is going to make it though. It looked like it quit about at day 15, but I still have it, just in case.

I got to thinking....If only 1 egg hatches out of the 2 that I had, it might get lonely, so I set 6 more a week later. Out of those 6, I had to dispose 1 of them. I candled them today and it looks like the remaining 5 will be good eggs and they should hatch next weekend....

Back to my first one "Red" (RIR), will the air in the bator will be okay? It sure seems to be "stuffy" in there.

Last edited:
BTW...Do they suppose to flop around? I know that they are week right now, but it try's to stand up and them flips and flops around. This isn't going to hurt it, right?

Do you have every thing ready for the brooder therm, heat lamp, bedding ?
If so once he is dry you can take him out and put him in the brooder it should be about 99* if I remmber and there should be food and water and a ariea where he can be away from the heat if he wants to , you can put a small stuffed animal or feather duster in tehre for him to snuggle.

well if you don't plan on any other eggs hatching for another week you certainly shouldn't keep the lone chick in there for a week. But if you think others are going to hatch soon then it will be ok in there for 24 hours or so I think. I think I am confused on your question ???

My brooder is being occupied by 12 other store bought chicks. They are moving to there brooder inside the hen house tomorrow, so the new chicks will move to the inside brooder them. I just want to make sure that the new chick will be okay left inside the bator until tomorrow.

I don't want to put it in harms way by leaving it in there to long or not long enough.

Bad logistic, but it should be OK for less than a day.

However reduce the humidity about 10%, it is too high for the remaining eggs which will not hatch for another week or so. Plus this will help your chick dry faster.

Back
Top Bottom