My first chicken coop 😃

I think it will work well since the chickens are small still and the ducks will be moving to bigger digs before long.

I do agree the wire attachment and latch are not so great. It doesn't take long to add strips over the existing staples to keep them from pulling out easily.

Once you are done with the duck house we would love to see it.
The duck house is huge. I’m not completely finished with it at all. The wire is very small and stapled where no predators can get in. I still have to finish the wiring and then the houses themselves on the inside.
Here is what I have finished so far:

Attachments

• 3900F5BC-0168-41CE-B8E0-16D0792055A5.jpeg
    3900F5BC-0168-41CE-B8E0-16D0792055A5.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DD7C7AFB-C57C-4F77-AEC5-6B33AC8DB381.jpeg
    DD7C7AFB-C57C-4F77-AEC5-6B33AC8DB381.jpeg
    938.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The duck house is huge. I’m not completely finished with it at all. The wire is very small and stapled where no predators can get in. I still have to finish the wiring and then the houses themselves on the inside.
Here is what I have finished so far:

One thing I learned long ago....the only thing predators find tastier than chicken is ducks. :( I learned it the hard way.

I like the structure for the quackers.
I will volunteer a suggestion though....add 2x4 welded wire or another strong fencing to help keep them safe. Just run it on top of your existing wire. It will be $ well spent.

Coops from the stores tend to not be sturdy. The mesh in the run is definitely not predator-proof. I would take the wire off and reinforce it with fencing, you can use metal staples and hammer them in. You also might want to reinforce the door with another latch, try a really sturdy one that is raccoon-proof. Also at night, latch all the doors and keep the ducks in the coop.
Looks like hardware cloth which is ok, but you definitely want to check how it's attached. If it's just lightweight or short staples, it may not hold if a predator decides to test it.

x2 on latches being an issue especially with raccoons. If it's easy enough for a toddler to open it, so can a coon.

So here is my first chicken coop. It’s not built from scratch. We assembled it after it came in the mail.
The duck coop we’re working on is built from scratch. I will just share the chicken coop for now.
🐓

Ducklingguy 🦆

PS. I’m keeping the ducklings in with the chickens until they get bigger, and then release them with my adult ducks.
My first go at a coop, wife just needs to paint it the color she wants

Attachments

• E915BF3D-DB4B-4CBB-AC3D-90F3B3813074.jpeg
    E915BF3D-DB4B-4CBB-AC3D-90F3B3813074.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
So here is my first chicken coop. It’s not built from scratch. We assembled it after it came in the mail.
The duck coop we’re working on is built from scratch. I will just share the chicken coop for now.
🐓

Ducklingguy 🦆

PS. I’m keeping the ducklings in with the chickens until they get bigger, and then release them with my adult ducks.
that is a very nice & cute coop. It must have been quite a chore to put it together, Well Done!

Back
Top Bottom