My first chicken coop 😃

Ducklingguy

Chirping
May 3, 2021
North Carolina
So here is my first chicken coop. It’s not built from scratch. We assembled it after it came in the mail.
The duck coop we’re working on is built from scratch. I will just share the chicken coop for now.
🐓

Ducklingguy 🦆

PS. I’m keeping the ducklings in with the chickens until they get bigger, and then release them with my adult ducks.

Attachments

• 9FEF72FB-6353-4436-8C34-E438B04222D9.jpeg
    9FEF72FB-6353-4436-8C34-E438B04222D9.jpeg
    999.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 835D7981-72FF-4899-85D1-188D1C7A73EA.jpeg
    835D7981-72FF-4899-85D1-188D1C7A73EA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • E2213343-8EB1-4DBD-A59C-97B6C641292C.jpeg
    E2213343-8EB1-4DBD-A59C-97B6C641292C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 01E638A9-A90C-472F-8106-EC36BD67CED2.jpeg
    01E638A9-A90C-472F-8106-EC36BD67CED2.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 18
So here is my first chicken coop. It’s not built from scratch. We assembled it after it came in the mail.
The duck coop we’re working on is built from scratch. I will just share the chicken coop for now.
🐓

Ducklingguy 🦆

PS. I’m keeping the ducklings in with the chickens until they get bigger, and then release them with my adult ducks.
Coops from the stores tend to not be sturdy. The mesh in the run is definitely not predator-proof. I would take the wire off and reinforce it with fencing, you can use metal staples and hammer them in. You also might want to reinforce the door with another latch, try a really sturdy one that is raccoon-proof. Also at night, latch all the doors and keep the ducks in the coop.

Coops from the stores tend to not be sturdy. The mesh in the run is definitely not predator-proof. I would take the wire off and reinforce it with fencing, you can use metal staples and hammer them in. You also might want to reinforce the door with another latch, try a really sturdy one that is raccoon-proof. Also at night, latch all the doors and keep the ducks in the coop.
All baby chickens and ducklings are in the coop now. I have the porch light on, so I can keep and eye on them tonight.
The bigger ducks are in their coop, but I only got enough of it finished to let them sleep in there.

I am so happy the chickens and ducklings are in the coop, because I did have them in the garage in such a small area. They seem happier with space.

All baby chickens and ducklings are in the coop now. I have the porch light on, so I can keep and eye on them tonight.
The bigger ducks are in their coop, but I only got enough of it finished to let them sleep in there.

I am so happy the chickens and ducklings are in the coop, because I did have them in the garage in such a small area. They seem happier with space.
How small was it in there? I counted 9 birds is a space that doesn't look bigger than 4x4. The coop is still too small. I certainly hope there's some free ranging going on.

How small was it in there? I counted 9 birds is a space that doesn't look bigger than 4x4. The coop is still too small. I certainly hope there's some free ranging going on.
When the duck coop is completely finished, I can move the ducklings to that coop and will be more space.
Trust me! It isn’t small in comparison to where they were before. They have plenty of room!
This is just the start of my project. I plan on adding onto the coop area to give more space.

When the duck coop is completely finished, I can move the ducklings to that coop and will be more space.
Trust me! It isn’t small in comparison to where they were before. They have plenty of room!
This is just the start of my project. I plan on adding onto the coop area to give more space.
Being just the start, I'm sure it will be fine. I just cringe when I see those. Though you should plan on the lack of quality from it. Two years, maybe.

I think it will work well since the chickens are small still and the ducks will be moving to bigger digs before long.

I do agree the wire attachment and latch are not so great. It doesn't take long to add strips over the existing staples to keep them from pulling out easily.

Once you are done with the duck house we would love to see it.

Back
Top Bottom