MY FIRST CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RoosterRehab97, Mar 22, 2009.

1. RoosterRehab97

RoosterRehab97 Chillin' With My Peeps

2 SILKIE ROO'S AND 2 SILKIE HENS!!!! [​IMG]
    Any one have any advice for a newbie?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Welcome and congrats! My only advice is to get a few more hens [​IMG] The boys will be happier with more ladies and will be more likely to share them nicely.

Are you looking to show them? Just pet? Eggs? Meat?

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes definately more girls. I have 2 silkies and I love them. Congrats and have fun!!!!!

4. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I agree. More girls=less jealousy/fighting. Lots of treats and socializing. And definately protect them f/ predators!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I love that the advice you got was: GET MORE.
    [​IMG]

My 2 cents is to read read read read read. Learn as MUCH as you can about chickens so that you can guarantee their health and security.

Also, have the talk with your family (if applicable) now about what happens if a chicken gets sick. Do you take it to a vet? How much do you agree to spend? Would you cull it? Who & how?

Read this thread, if you haven't already: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129278

And
    congrats on your silkies! I'd love to have one in my flock but the Pacific Northwest gets pretty muddy during the winter. As it is, my banty cochin spent the winter wet, miserable, and constantly combatting mites.

6. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I love silkies! I just hatched my first 2 about two months ago. 1 is definately a roo and the other looks like a pullet, but they spar all the time. Just for fun though, it seems.

Silkies are such sweet chickens. So much sweeter than all other breeds. I'm used to handling the old english variety and let me tell you, silkies are ANGELS! Even the roos will mother baby chicks sometimes. Now that's very gentlemen like.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yup! Freeze the credit card, and shred the checkbook, or those 4 Silkies will turn into 40... trust me, they're like potato chips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by