My first chicks ever!!

misspoppins

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Alabama
My first chicks ever come to me on Sunday.
big_smile.png
8 Buff Orps. I. AM. SO. EXCITED! My friend whom I'm splitting the order with gets them tomorrow (!!) and so they'll be almost a week old when he delivers them to me, but I'm still a little scared, because I know they're SO fragile at first.

I've never done anything like this ever before in my life, and I was just wondering if anybody has some beginner advice, besides what's in (ALL) the books.

I have my little brooder all built and I'm wondering if saw dust is good enough litter. It's probably easy to walk on, but it is-you know- dust! Will it make the chickies sneeze or mess up their breathing/respiratory systems?

And I also read that with such a small flock as mine, you don't technically HAVE to use feeders/waterers, but instead, bowls will work? Is this true?

Anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! I'm so excited!!
big_smile.png

I used paper towels for a few weeks then changed to shavings. I tried
sawdust and they tried to eat it. I didn't have much luck with it. I bought a chick feeder and waterer. It was my first time so I went with what they were selling. Now I would just use a heavy shallow bowl something they could not fall into and drown. The heat was the most important part for me. I finally ended up putting it in the shower stall and heating that with a heat lamp. Worked pretty good. Congratulations with your new chicks.
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

Congrats on your new babies!!! Sawdust is not so good for a myriad of reasons. I like to start them with plain ol' newspaper so they can find the food on the floor and then we put them on wood shavings or straw. No, you don't really need a waterer or feeder YET but when those ladies get bigger they'll go through a good gallon sized waterer a day.

If you use a bowl for water please put marbles in it so the chicks can't fall and drown. As far as feeding in a bowl it will just get messy and waste a lot of feed. If you put the bowls up on something about the height of their backs it will help with both of these problems. As far as advice beond that I would just say to keep in touch here and if you have any problems this site is full of chicken obsessed ppl. like me that will try to help you with any problems that arrise. Welcome to BYC and Good Luck

Thanks for the advice, y'all!
smile.png

Yes, if I don't get a waterer I will most certainly use a very shallow bowl and/or put marbles in.
smile.png

Thanks, RendonRoo...I'll be back!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom