My first chicks just hatched - not exactly prepared!

quiacato

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
I finally decided to let my Black Astralorp stay on the eggs now that we have nice Rooster - he is so nice I was not sure any of the eggs would be fertile. Two chicks hatched today, I ran to the store and got feed and a waterer. I am going to try and let nature do its thing....any suggestions??? I have another black that is broody that is guarding the lay box. The rooster is a Polish Top hat. Thanks

Are you going to let the Hen raise them or are you going to raise them in the Brooder?
You may want to make sure the Roo can't get at the chicks, I've read where some are ok but also read about those the he kills the chicks. You know your Roo and hopefully you have the Hen & chicks safe.

I like to have my broody hens and their chicks in a separate area, but in the coop, for a week or so, until the babies are moving and eating well, and then let them out with the flock while they are free ranging. If the broody hen is low on the totem pole, maybe a few more days, so she can better protect her more agile chicks.
I feed everyone Flock Raiser, so there's no need to have a different diet out there. And I have several feeders and waterers, so there's no issue with anyone getting supplies. If you only use nipple waterers, that's a problem, and you will need something that the babies can use.
Mary

Folly's place has given you excellent advice. - also put clean pebbles or marbles in a shallow water dish so the chicks don't fall in and accidentally drown. It has happened.

My advice from a first timer in your same shoes....don’t worry so much. Or over think it. My hen hatched 3 in with the rest of the chickens (14 total). I helped them out of the nest and 3x I had to help at least one back in the coop at night. I also put out a water dish for them up until about a week ago. Now they can reach the regular water bucket.

I haven’t done a thing else. The mother hen protects them in with the flock. They even get right in on the feeding action. Eating bugs, grass, whatever leftovers I feed the rest of the chickens, layer feed, and scratch grains.

They hatched July 1-3. And these photos are from July 8

57555BD6-1BBD-4899-89C8-79403E91C113.jpeg

8FEEAC00-B406-4720-B99C-5393951F05BB.jpeg

So far all is well and a third chick hatched yesterday. I have left them out with the flock and I think it will be just fine. The three chicks have two hens sitting on them and the Rooster has been with chicks before at his former home. All my hens are pretty mellow :) Here are a couple pictures. I have a feeling I will be doing this again!
chicks 2.jpg
chicks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom