My first coop attempt

jbrianchamberli

Songster
5 Years
May 13, 2014
I'm no carpenter and not very hand with a saw but this is my first attempt. I still need to trim the window and finish the shingles.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 52
I hope mine looks as good. Also a total newbie at building and just started the cutting wood pieces and painting each with the 1st coat of exterior paint. I have limited space to do so, just a few at a time. Hauling cement blocks and dirt to get the site leveled so I don't have a crooked little hen house.

Mine is a little crooked because the ground isn't level. It is what it is. It ain't moving. Lol. I was a lot more work than I expected and a bit more money. The weather in Maryland was horrible too. Would have been done weeks ago.

It always takes longer, cost more, and little more crooked than we expect...
....but that is an excellent job for someone with no carpentry experience.

A bit crooked the chickens won't care. I have found any project costs about twice what you plan on. Right now I'm above my original budget and still have some wood, roofing and hardware to buy. I was first thinking pre-fab-- not worth shoddy materials. I figure if this gramma can learn to put up woodwork, ceiling fans, etc. etc. by myself I can do this. Just a bit slow with working and things like mowing the grass.

Super cute! Well done! Only thing I would suggest is that you may want to padlock your door if you can. A raccoon will figure out that latch pretty quickly. Other than that, it looks really great.

Super cute! Well done! Only thing I would suggest is that you may want to padlock your door if you can. A raccoon will figure out that latch pretty quickly. Other than that, it looks really great.
There's a carbineer on the door latch....gotta zoom in....and the nest latch too.
Hopefully nest latch on other side too.

Back
Top Bottom