My first coop attempt

jbrianchamberli

Songster
5 Years
May 13, 2014
I'm no carpenter and not very hand with a saw but this is my first attempt. I still need to trim the window and finish the shingles.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 52
It always takes longer, cost more, and little more crooked than we expect...
....but that is an excellent job for someone with no carpentry experience.

Super cute! Well done! Only thing I would suggest is that you may want to padlock your door if you can. A raccoon will figure out that latch pretty quickly. Other than that, it looks really great.
There's a carbineer on the door latch....gotta zoom in....and the nest latch too.
Hopefully nest latch on other side too.

I hope mine looks as good. Also a total newbie at building and just started the cutting wood pieces and painting each with the 1st coat of exterior paint. I have limited space to do so, just a few at a time. Hauling cement blocks and dirt to get the site leveled so I don't have a crooked little hen house.

Mine is a little crooked because the ground isn't level. It is what it is. It ain't moving. Lol. I was a lot more work than I expected and a bit more money. The weather in Maryland was horrible too. Would have been done weeks ago.

A bit crooked the chickens won't care. I have found any project costs about twice what you plan on. Right now I'm above my original budget and still have some wood, roofing and hardware to buy. I was first thinking pre-fab-- not worth shoddy materials. I figure if this gramma can learn to put up woodwork, ceiling fans, etc. etc. by myself I can do this. Just a bit slow with working and things like mowing the grass.

Super cute! Well done! Only thing I would suggest is that you may want to padlock your door if you can. A raccoon will figure out that latch pretty quickly. Other than that, it looks really great.

Back
Top Bottom