my first coop... finally finished!*pics*

It looks great! I think you have made wonderful progress...and i still screw up on plywood sometimes even with a table saw! It really doesn't look too wonky
smile.png
Make sure you dont make the edges of the nest box too comfortable to roost on otherwise they'll be all poopy
roll.png
...My banties seemed to be the worst with that...Are you going to put shingles on the roof? how will you waterproof it? the vents should be under the eaves (which i don't see much of) otherwise the rain/snow will come in...so you can make little hinged flaps that can be propped open with a chain or stick...can you picture what i'm trying to explain? hard to write this kind of stuff! I'll try to find an example...
http://www.marshymeadows.com/chicwind.jpg
like that only really smaller! Like 6" tall and 12" wide...

Banan: thanks for the complement! I just got married in Aug.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking I'd put little "awnings" over the vents, but I like your idea better. That way, I could adjust them, if need be.
I'm not sure how to shingle the roof. Is it hard to do? Could I just paint it and put some sealer on there? I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, if you can't already tell
tongue.png

Thanks for all the feed back!

P.S. Congratulations newlywed!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree.

Stop what youre doing and run!
wee.gif
Stay away from BYC, they make everyone an addict!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I started off with wanting just one chicken. Well that one chicken turned into 6. I just added 6 more! Theyre almost a week old. Just a fair warning.
wink.png

I started with a momie and 5 babies........ and now I have 75, I sell eggs, and I am going to start a hatchery...... AWWWW run it is catching.
lol.png

Um, yeah, I pretty much want a couple of every breed. I'd love to have seramas, silkies, flaverolles(sp?), cochins, d' uccles, sebrights..... the list goes on. BUT, I live in the city, and I must keep my wits about me! I'll probably end up with a couple more than planned, but will be limited by space. Thank goodness! I could build another small coop in the garage, if I HAD to
tongue.png

I really should stop looking at all the cute pictures!

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I'm doing the best I can with no skills, and a little help from everyone on this site! I want our chickens to be happy little birds.

I dunno if the roof could just be painted with that tar stuff...probably! As long as water can't damage the board then it's probably sufficient. Make sure to seal the edges of the boards that are exposed...

I might have to break down and have my stepdad look at it
smile.png
He's a builder/painter. Maybe, he'll help me shingle it
wink.png

I'll post more pics, once I'm further along.
Thanks a bunch!

Woohoo! I'm almost finished with the coop, and the Health Dept. guy dropped off my application today. By the time we get moved, we'll be ready to get chickens! We'll be getting our chickens from Rebecca at KLS Poultry, she's very nice
smile.png
She even offered to hatch some chicks for us. Thanks, Rebecca! I'm going to get some more pics of the coop
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom