My first coop plan. ?????

nuts4hotwheels

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2010
Texas City, TX
I am planning on getting 5 chicks, soon. I sketched a rough drawing of my idea for a coop. It will be 4'x3' and 3' tall inside. I will also attach a run about 4' x 10' and 6' tall. It will also have simple windows with hardware cloth covering them. Does this seem adequate?

mycoop.jpg

Might be a little small for 5 chickens. The suggested size for the coop is 4 sq feet per chicken. 4x3 would be 12 sq feet total and 5 chickens should have 20 sq. feet. If you could make it 4x5 that would be better. Also the run should have 10 sq feet per chicken. Your run and coop could house 3 chickens.

That is unless you are getting banties. Then they would need less.

welcome-byc.gif

This is so much like my first idea for a coop- it's crazy!!

I just got done adding an addition to my coop- which was the EXACT same size as yours. The only difference is that the door came out the side.
My advice to you is this: MAKE IT BIGGER!!! You won't regret it. Trust me. I had the 4x3 coop for just four... way to small.

Good luck!!!

This idea looks very similar to our coop that we finished for our 20 chickens. I like it! It seems to working great for ours.
Check it out on "my page".
thumbsup.gif

With Texas weather, you could probably do okay with the housing, although it's a bit small for the amount of birds you want. Would the nest boxes be external, so you don't lose any more floor space???? However, you really should consider at least 10sq. ft. of run space if your birds are LF rather than bantams. Something you might want to consider with the height is the roost issue. Will you be able to give adequate headroom for hopping up onto the roost without losing floor space? I guess 18 and 18 would work though, if it's three feet high where the roosts would go...

Back
Top Bottom