My First Coop....The Beginning !

NH-hamneggs

Songster
5 Years
Dec 1, 2018
New Hampshire
I took ownership of a 6 foot X 12 foot pallet that some machinery came on, this is the base of my coop.
coop floor2.jpg
coop floor1.jpg

Unfortunately, we didn't receive the machinery at work until last week. We already have more than a foot of snow on the ground. I will not be able to get it in place until spring hit pretty hard...maybe April or so.
But I am going to prepare things, get material and so on.
As the 4x4's are not pressure treated I will paint them and put some runners of PT 2 X 6 between them and concrete blocks to get it off the ground.

The floor is a double layer of 3/4 inch plywood. I don't want this to rot out, so I was thinking of painting the floor with the rubberized roof materiel, then put a layer of linoleum on top of that.

Also, since we get down to 20 or 30 below zero sometimes, would double pane windows be a good idea?

Thanks for any information and I will try to provide picks as things come together.

Maybe double-pane would be a good idea. Do you have a plan on what chickens you're going to get, what the coop's going to look like, and what bedding you're going to use? Anyway, it looks cool and I can't wait to see it once it's finished. :)

A friends is keeping two Ameraucana for us until we get set up.
So probably a few more of them, and a few other breeds.
I'm looking at about a dozon layers.

Then possible some meat birds as well.

We are going to do the deep litter method, wood shavings and hay.
I have a good sized area for a run that is a combination of sun and shade.

Welcome to BYC!
Thanks for adding your location...it really helps when giving advice.
Double glazed windows can be good, top hinged are best IMO.
Don't confuse a closed insulated coop with healthy chickens they need ventilation all year round.

It's actually good that you have all winter to research and plan,
should save you some pain, suffering, and money when it's time to actually build.

There's a lot to learn, take your time, separate the wheat from the chaff.
Take notes and save links.
I use a word doc with headings like coop, roosts, nests, ventilation, etc so easier to find info later using document search function. Also have a spreadsheet file with labeled sheets.

Here's some tips to peruse while you're planning:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

It has been pretty cold up here for the last week or so, not really able to work outside.
Well today it got up to 37 and wanted to start doing some of the prep work for building the coop.
The first thing I want to do is weather proof the wood on the bottom side of the floor.
So I leaned the deck against the wall to access the bottom.

Coop Deck.JPG

So now I can use a space heater to get everything warm enough to paint/seal.
I am going to use a roof and concrete sealer.
Once everything is sealed I will screw pressure treated 2 X 6's across the 4 X 4's
This will keep the non PT wood from sitting on concrete blocks.
Evenly spaced I will have four 2 X 6's
I am going to use 12 blocks evenly spaced down each side , then down the middle.
It should be pretty solid.

It's a start at any rate !!

Things are still too cold up here to get any real work done.
It has been single numbers for the last three night and day temp are barely out of the 20's
I was watching a video, the person in the video suggested putting the coop in the shade.
I live in a pretty cold area and I was thinking to put the coop in a spot that is sunny most of the day during the winter. I want to benefit from the sun warming the coop, and possibly using a couple solar panels for power in the coop
In the summer the spot gets direct sun until late in the day, then is in shadow late in the day. My worry is, would it get hotter in the coop than the birds could stand at night?
It will be vented of course, but building tend to hold heat well in summer.

I will extend the run into a shaded area, but again, that shaded area wont be shaded until late in the day.

I plan on extending the roof out from the coop so that will provide a shaded place for food and water.

What do you think would be best..in the shade or in full sun?

What do you think would be best..in the shade or in full sun?
Perfect world...it would have deciduous shade all summer then solar gain after leaf fall.
Otherwise you'll have to compromise.
Another thing to think about is winter access for you the keeper.

Mine gets hot as hades, I have little shade and it's early day shade.
I have a window fan on the east side that blows cool(er) air into the coop late in day,
helps some to push hot air out eave vents and upper windows.

Plant a fast-growing deciduous tree or two? Poplar grows like a weed; willow, or how about some vines? Not sure what grows fast very far north - I’m in south-central Vermont, but our weather is warmer. Sounds like you are in the frozen north.

Finally got a break in the weather to do some prep work on the coop.
I got the bottom sealed up good, put the cross supports and attached the wheels to move it into place. The cross supports are pressure treated, it will sit on concrete blocks 4 down each side with 4 down the center. I want it solid and to last a long time.

I still have to seal the edges this week and then put the linoleum on the floor.
I have yet to level the place it while be placed. It will be located in the corner near the rocks, this area will get sun for a good part of the day, then shade late afternoon and evening.

I hope to get out this week and level the spot it is going into. then cut the fence to secure the bottom from anything digging under and chewing through the floor. I also hope the sealer I used will deter some rodents.

Attachments

• P1020155.JPG
    P1020155.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020148.JPG
    P1020148.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020156.JPG
    P1020156.JPG
    561.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom