My first dark eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sevenbabychicks, Aug 24, 2011.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Just had to post this. I've never had dark egg-layers before and was soooo surprised and amazed to find these in the coop over the past couple days! I think one or both are definitely the product of the pullet who is supposedly a BCM/RIR cross (but maybe pure BCM because of the darkness of those eggs?); I also have an Olive Egger who might have laid one - she has a pea/single comb so might not have the blue egg gene. One of the eggs is huge with black speckles; the other is darker, smaller, with a reddish hue to it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    That dark one is very nice! I have 5 BCM hens, and find their eggs range from solid dark, to lighter brown with dark speckles, and everything between the two.

I love all the different colors you have! When all mine start laying I'll get dark brown, light brown and white. I may have to add a couple EE's next year for green/blue eggs.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Beautiful!! I wish my Cuckoo maran laid eggs that dark!

4. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My FBCM's look like that too and after a month of laying, I haven't stopped admiring them!!
    Congrats![​IMG]:woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by