(My First Double Yolker!!!) Keeping updated... RESULTS OF CANDLING

I was told twice a day, and that's how we did it last time and nothing went wrong....
hu.gif

When I get the money, I will be buying a better incubator with an automatic turner. Then I don't really have to do too much until time to set.
smile.png

Last edited:
Because the chicks rest the longest overnight, if they rest on the same side every night it can lead to abnormalities (flattened spots on heads, atrophied wing, etc.). That's why you need to turn them an odd number of times. If you mark one side with an X and make sure the x is up at night on either even or odd dates, it's easy to keep track of.

Well things are still going good. Temperature and humidity are still stable. And thanks to some advice above, I am now turning 3 times per day. We'll be candling this weekend... Either Saturday or Sunday. Any suggestions on which day would be best? Eggs went in this past Sunday. I don't really count that as day 1... so in my calculations.... Saturday would be day 6, Sunday day 7. Which day is best for first candling? I plan to candle again around day 18ish. Thanks all!

I'd go with day 7 rather than sooner. I candle on day 8 and usually by then I can tell the culls from the growing chicks. The chicks have a nice web of veins, are developing an identifiable mass, and are often moving. Culls will either have a blood ring or be clear. I've candled earlier than this, but it's hard to tell the culls much earlier. Just my 2 cents.

That said, I know oh so well the "itch" that sets in waaaaay before even day 6!
barnie.gif
The days up to the first candling, for me, are only exceeded in degree of torment by lockdown days before hatch! I just locked down on 30 eggs due on the 6th ... I'm already fighting the urge every 15 minutes to peek under the blanket I keep on the bator glass. I need to go do a jigsaw puzzle or something to distract myself!

Back
Top Bottom