My first duck brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HennyPenny2, Apr 7, 2016.

1. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a first time duck mom, got my two babies (1 BO and 1 Cayuga both females) yesterday and made a area for their water and food using a lasagna pan and a piece of hardware cloth wrapped over top with a piece of scrap 2x4 in the center and the hardware cloth stapled to it for support. Works like a dream at keeping the bedding dry. Just thought I'ed share a pic. The other two mallard babies are my friends that will go to their new home Sunday. By the way, anyone know if Mallards can be a bit bullish? They are half the size of my babies but are always pecking at mine poor things.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Papagena

Papagena Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    I looove this. There's nothing like the smell of wet shavings mixed with duck mess. Does the pan get really heavy when you have to empty the water?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! No, there really isn't as much water spilled into it as you might think. I think it seems like it when the shavings get wet because they absorb so much water but when I did this setup I see it's not a whole lot, in fact I haven't even cleaned out the tray yet. I will this morning but when I checked on them it was pretty messy in the tray but still not filled with water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by