My first duck eggs...not sure what to do

kseabythec

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
College Station, Texas
I apologize in advance for potentially starting a new thread on an existing topic, but I've searched and probably not using the right key words. I am new to ducks (and chickens) and not sure how to handle our first eggs from the ducks. We have no roosters, so the chicken eggs are easy, collect and eat. The duck eggs, not so much, as I DID have two males (one was eaten last week by a local predator that we have yet to identify), so still have one left. I do not want to eat the duck eggs...and honestly, don't care if we have baby ducks (think it will be fun and cool!). My question is this: Does the duck need to sit on her nest all the time for the eggs to hatch? Do they instantly sit on the nest, or wait for it to fill up? I don't want them to just sit out there and rot, but don't have/want an incubator, either. (I want nature to take it's course, just be nice if I have a clue how it all works out). My male is currently in a kennel with bumble foot, so not sure any of the upcoming eggs will be fertilized (he's been in there for two days...we were gone all day yesterday, so not sure if the eggs were laid before his confinement or not). Don't know how long the duck can lay fertilized eggs post-"activity" (did read the females can store semen in their curvy "pipes"...). Please forgive my stupidity or novice-ness....trying to google answers but apparently, I'm not asking it the right way. Haven't noticed a duck wanting to sit all the time, but there are feathers and leaves all around the hole she dug for them. Thankfully, it's in our pen and not out in the yard somewhere (they free range, except at night, now that we know something has a desire for duck meat around here). Thanks in advance!

I apologize in advance for potentially starting a new thread on an existing topic, but I've searched and probably not using the right key words. I am new to ducks (and chickens) and not sure how to handle our first eggs from the ducks. We have no roosters, so the chicken eggs are easy, collect and eat. The duck eggs, not so much, as I DID have two males (one was eaten last week by a local predator that we have yet to identify), so still have one left. I do not want to eat the duck eggs...and honestly, don't care if we have baby ducks (think it will be fun and cool!). My question is this: Does the duck need to sit on her nest all the time for the eggs to hatch? Do they instantly sit on the nest, or wait for it to fill up? I don't want them to just sit out there and rot, but don't have/want an incubator, either. (I want nature to take it's course, just be nice if I have a clue how it all works out). My male is currently in a kennel with bumble foot, so not sure any of the upcoming eggs will be fertilized (he's been in there for two days...we were gone all day yesterday, so not sure if the eggs were laid before his confinement or not). Don't know how long the duck can lay fertilized eggs post-"activity" (did read the females can store semen in their curvy "pipes"...). Please forgive my stupidity or novice-ness....trying to google answers but apparently, I'm not asking it the right way. Haven't noticed a duck wanting to sit all the time, but there are feathers and leaves all around the hole she dug for them. Thankfully, it's in our pen and not out in the yard somewhere (they free range, except at night, now that we know something has a desire for duck meat around here). Thanks in advance!
What breeds are you talking about here? not all breed of ducks will go broody and sit. and yes they like to fill up the nest before committing so it may be 8-20 eggs before you see her sitting at night first then if she is serious she'll commit 24/7 that's when the countdown begins. she'll only come off the nest to poop, eat and bathe. Then right back on. I'm not sure on fertility but if your drake has only been confined a few days I'd say at least the first 7 should be fertile, someone else may know for sure though. I think I'd get her nest moved from out in the run though, especially if you have preds coming around. Put her eggs inside the house/coop in a private place with as much nesting material as you can, then break up the old nest and put something over it to keep her from going back to it. You know the saying Sitting Ducks? well she will be one if she is allowed to brood outside.

What breeds are you talking about here? not all breed of ducks will go broody and sit. and yes they like to fill up the nest before committing so it may be 8-20 eggs before you see her sitting at night first then if she is serious she'll commit 24/7 that's when the countdown begins. she'll only come off the nest to poop, eat and bathe. Then right back on. I'm not sure on fertility but if your drake has only been confined a few days I'd say at least the first 7 should be fertile, someone else may know for sure though. I think I'd get her nest moved from out in the run though, especially if you have preds coming around. Put her eggs inside the house/coop in a private place with as much nesting material as you can, then break up the old nest and put something over it to keep her from going back to it. You know the saying Sitting Ducks? well she will be one if she is allowed to brood outside.
Not sure who is laying...I have three females, a pekin, a mallard and a hybrid. I know my pekin has laid at least one, as she pulled out feathers. We have found eggs in three different places and put them all together. Tonite, there were 5 of them in the nest, and someone had covered them up with leaves and grasses. My drake has been confined now for 3 days. Her nest is in our coop...so no worries about predators except for snakes that potentially could steal the eggs. If I notice her brooding, then I won't leave the coop door open during the daytime, and just keep them confined 24/7. I guess I need to look at my original post and see where I said the eggs were...they were in the coop, not out in the open (although we did find an egg in the backyard this evening...that wasn't there this morning....it's like an easter egg hunt around here!).

Not sure who is laying...I have three females, a pekin, a mallard and a hybrid. I know my pekin has laid at least one, as she pulled out feathers. We have found eggs in three different places and put them all together. Tonite, there were 5 of them in the nest, and someone had covered them up with leaves and grasses. My drake has been confined now for 3 days. Her nest is in our coop...so no worries about predators except for snakes that potentially could steal the eggs. If I notice her brooding, then I won't leave the coop door open during the daytime, and just keep them confined 24/7. I guess I need to look at my original post and see where I said the eggs were...they were in the coop, not out in the open (although we did find an egg in the backyard this evening...that wasn't there this morning....it's like an easter egg hunt around here!).
It can be an egg hunt till they finally figure it out. make sure who ever decides to go broody has a way to get outside because when they come off the nest the poop they do is so disgusting you do not want that in your coop. I have a pic of how I set up for my goose so she has a bit of privacy which is all they need just so they feel secure in nest.
This gives give's her a bit of security. Let us know when you see who has committed
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom