My first ducklings what sex? Muscovy

i stepped on a snail too they started eating that. feels yucky, idk if i got scissors snipped slugs in half if that stops the slime foaming mechanism in them

Be careful slugs are slimy and can cause choking if they eat too many. Maybe you don’t have them there as big as they are here my ducks ( Muscovy) won’t eat them
did you bath your ducklings? i try to bath them everyday, they are really cute when they stretch flap their wings to dry off

Mine loved to get into the pool or when young and not feathered in all the way they got to have warm bath in the tub. They sure do love water and are so much fun to watch diving under and swimming. And flapping those little wings is just so precious. :love

I think you cannot be certain of a muscovy duck's sex until about 12 weeks. I have a muscovy that I rescued soon after hatching, hand raised, and weighed daily for 5 weeks. It was growing along the female growth curve for barnyard muscovies [that is commercial muscovies not a hand reared muscovy that I think would get better nutrition and grow larger than barnyard ducklings]. I thought that my duckling was female, but the duckling kept growing and growing beyond 5 weeks. The duckling also didn't start babbling like a female muscovy at around 8 weeks. Nor did it start huffing like a male muscovy. My little fluffy yellow duckling is now an enormous drake! He is still virtually silent although he does open his mouth and make very quiet huffing noises when all the ducks are excited.

I also have a muscovy that was rescued and raised by a rehabber from a few days old. That duckling grew very fast and was thought to be a drake, so was named Max. Well Max stopped growing very suddenly and also became very vocal babbling away sometime before she came to me at 12 or so weeks old. Max is definitely Maxine!!

So my advice is to keep an open mind about your ducklings' sex until 8-12 weeks when the growth difference should be obvious and females should have begun to babble

yeah, i still cant tell. Sometimes im hearing an odd hiss noise while they eating. Do they look like mules or like actually muscovies?

Attachments

• ee.jpg
    ee.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 4
  • er.jpg
    er.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
  • eyey.jpg
    eyey.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ge.jpg
    ge.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3
  • ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3
  • trert.jpg
    trert.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
  • yree.jpg
    yree.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
No pictures update atm, but one the ducklings has quicker wing feather growth then the other (black spots one is on its second layer of wing feathers, wholly yellow white one on first). does that mean i have a boy and girl?

Back
Top Bottom