My first ducklings!! *With pics!* What crested breed am I??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I just brought home my first set of ducklings today, and I'm really excited about them! I bought a Khaki Campbell and two "Assorted" Ducklings. I just took the pictures, so.....

Mystery Duck #1

[​IMG]

^^He is a really fast runner, he got away from me right after I took that cute photo. [​IMG]

Mystery Duck #2

[​IMG]

The one in question is the yellow one with black blotches on him in the middle of the group.

The Khaki Campbell is laying down hiding his head underneath his buddies...he seems kind of shy!

Do these look like familiar breeds to anybody? They are adorable! Also, is it ok to keep them on soft pine shaving bedding? They have been at the feed store on slightly harder pine bedding, so I assume they are not having a problem ingesting it. They appear to be picking up the shavings and then letting them drop out of their mouths...I hope they're not sneaking them when I'm out of the room!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm a ducky newbie so I couldn't tell ya, but congratulations and I can't wait to see the pictures! [​IMG]

3. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    #1 Could be a Crested White Pekin?

#2 Sounds like an Ancona with the blotches on the feet

But pics sure will help! Show off those cuties!! [​IMG]

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I say #1 is a Crested Fawn & White Runner. If you look closely, you can see the facial pattern that F&W Runners get. And you said he's a fast runner, it just makes sense,lol.

I also say Ancona on the 2nd one. Cute ducklings!

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Oh gosh I hope he is a Runner duck! [​IMG] I've wanted one of those for quite awhile, they're so comical looking. Whatever he is, he will be just perfect, but I hadn't thought he might actually be that type! He is definitely extremely fast for a week-old baby, that really does make sense.

I looked up Ancona ducklings and mine looks identical to those ducks. So cute!

6. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Ducks look so regal with their crests. They are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by