My FIRST egg ever!!! Turkey egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hawkeye95, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I got my FIRST egg today! My Royal Palm turkey laid this beauty! None of my other birds have started laying yet! Don't know much about turkey's laying habits... hope I get another one tomorrow!! [​IMG]

The white egg is for comparison-- it's a store bought egg labeled jumbo. My turkey egg is on the Right. The color seems off-- in person, it's almost a pink color with dark mauve/rose colored speckles! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    It's a beautiful egg, are you going to eat it or hatch it?

3. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    i wouldnt suggest hatching a birds first egg, give it atleast a few months to really start laying good quality eggs.

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Very cool! That's so exciting, and what a beautiful speckly egg, too!

5. Hawkeye95

SEE?!?! This is why I LOVE BYC and you all soooo much! [​IMG] I was so excited this morning when I found it, I ran around outside saying "OMG!, OMG!" and then rushed in to call my Dh--- who was like, 'eh, it's great.' Then I called my mom practically jumping up and down and she was happy for me.... BUT there is nothing like other poultry enthusiasts to be excited about someone ELSE's egg!! LOL!!!

Oh, and I'm going to eat it! It's not fertile. I don't have a mature male royal palm turkey. :( But little turkey poults would be adorable!

[​IMG]MY FIRST EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Hawkeye95

oh and thanks!! For some reason, when I got my Royal Palm... I never checked to see what color eggs they lay. It was a total shock!!!!! But so exciting!!!!! eeeeekkkkk!!! [​IMG]

7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Congratulations...that's a gorgeous egg!!! Hmm..turkeys...my dh better watch out! I've got very few birds and more coops than I need...might be time for some rearranging!! LOL

8. Hawkeye95

Oh, if you're going to get any turkey's, I would highly recommend Royal Palms. My dad has raised them, too. They are all very sweet, and docile. They are pretty calm. This jenny in particular is a real pet- she loves to be held and pet! She will follow you every where. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by