My first egg has been laid!

This is my first chicken ever and first egg ever. I went out there just now and that egg I left out there to teach them where to lay is no where to be found. It's completely gone. I don't even see any shell anywhere. It's like something just came and got it in the night and left. Do squirrels like eggs? They are probably the only thing that can get in the cage. Maybe they buried it in the shavings. I'll have to dig through there. ugh! I left a rock in the actual nesting box are of their house. I hope they get the hint. But now that they have 12 sq ft to roam around they don't sit up in the house at all during the day.

Carla
Clovis, CA

New to backyard chickens

Sounds like a snake!!
63768_snake_in_coop_004.jpg
That's a fake egg in the snakes stomach.

Last edited:
I got my first egg last week in bottom of coop then I didnt get any. Then I found 3 today in my Zuchinin plants there hiding them lol

How Fun! My red stars just started laying. One several weeks ago and the other this week. That is what we have been waiting for..now we celebrate.

OMG! That snake photo is crazy!! I hope it kills him!

Day 2: found a new egg in the actual house part not the roaming area. It's in tact so sits prettily in my fridge today. Someone mentioned the waddles and combs being an indicator of when they lay but mostly I get that it's when they turn super red. Well all of my girls are NOT that red but it's one of the Stars that's laying but their combs are still all the same color. Now one of them has a bigger one than the other two. And of those 2 one is yet bigger than the 3rd. My guess is that it's the one with the biggest comb laying and has nothing to do with the color. Not sure how to tell when the Easter Eggers will start because their combs are super tiny and theirs all looks same size and color. I just know that when they do it will be colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom