My first egg has been laid!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cgoodloe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. cgoodloe

cgoodloe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Clovis
    One of my 3 Red Stars has laid her first egg. Not sure which one. It wasn't in any nesting area but out in the middle of the dirt. Probably surprised her! One of them pecked a hole in it. It's kind of medium to small for the breed however. My hens will be 18 weeks on Monday June 27 so they are laying a little early or just on time depending on who you talk to. I made a nest area and put the hole pecked egg in there with a round egg shaped rock hoping they get the hint. Just FYI.

Carla

Clovis, CA
    Backyard Chicken lover

2. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    Congrats on your first egg, must be pretty exciting? Still waiting for my first.

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    yay!!!

I have 11 red stars and they started laying at 16.5 weeks...they were small to medium the first few weeks and quickly went up to large (with a few double yokers) I have now had them 2 months and I get some large, mostly extra large, and a few jumbos/day. Yummy!

[​IMG]

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Ahhhh....I'm so jealous! We are impatiently waiting for our first hegg-that's a hens egg as opposed to a sbegg- store bought:gig We have a beautiful Lavender Orp who is 16 weeks old who we think will be the first judging by her comb and wattles. We can't wait! Congrats to you and your henny:yiipchick

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Congratulations! We were so excited with our first egg too. I mean, first egg EVER from first chicken EVER! Every time she would lay one, the kids would come running out of the coop with it screaming and jumping up and down. [​IMG] THis went on with about the first dozen and NONE broken. Now, she lays one and their like...oh really...

6. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I discovered a pullet egg in the nest box yesterday along with a "big girl egg" - I have probably 12 pullets close to laying age.. so no clue which one it was. I told DH we need to reposition the game camera so it faces the nest box so I can see who is laying and who is slacking.. [​IMG]

shelly

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    It is exciting isn't it?

8. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Yay! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Congratulations! Our 7 pullets were 18 weeks yesterday :) No eggs yet - although I check numerous times each day. It's exciting!

10. JimmyMack

JimmyMack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens and just noticed two soft-shelled eggs this morning. The hens are exactly 17 weeks old today. I think it was one of our Red Stars and a Barred Plymouth Rock. I've noticed the squatting from the Red Star, nothing from the other lady. I'm colorblind, so telling the colors of combs and wattles is tougher..especially something red. Anyway, now I have nesting boxes for them with a few golf balls to hopefully give them a clue...but this assumes I have a clue. Ha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by