My First Egg YIKKES it's kind of ugly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pw_quiltworks, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]

It's the one on the right. It has a weird color. Kind of ugly. Hope it gets better as time goes by. It's only been 18 weeks. I was stunned to find an egg this early. They were hatched on Oct/17/08. Yikkes it's ugly. It had blood on it a little. I checked all the chickens butts. Didn't find anything gross. Just chicken butt. Can it be eaten. Not sure I want to. [​IMG] I don't have the nest boxes ready yet. Geez. I really thought I had another month.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    congrats!
    wish I had that problem [​IMG] I still have 6 mo that aren't laying

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, I think you just won the prize!!! Never have I met someone who complained about their first egg! [​IMG] Just kidding, of course. What breed of chicken laid that egg because my wyandottes used to lay that color - sort of pinkish. Easter eggers will, also, I believe. And I don't think it's ugly at all. It will had to your egg assortment. Nothing like having a carton full of different colors. The blood is typical for a first time layer and yes, you can eat it. It'll taste GOOD! Will this be your first fresh egg you've ever eaten?

4. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Oh come now, it looks like a very respectable egg to me! [​IMG]

My wyndottes lay eggs that color and they are very tasty.

Enjoy the variety.

Lil

5. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Yes it will be the first fresh chicken egg not store bought. My hens are red sex links. The egg on the left is a jumbo store bought. I have had fresh duck eggs that were pretty tasty. I was just so shocked. At first I though it was part of the litter. I am thrilled one is laying. Now for the other 5 to start. Thanks for answering. This board is so helpful and the people are very kind.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    That looks similar to an egg I get from one of my Easter Egger... kind of a khaki brown/green color. We call it "olive" it sounds better [​IMG]

Congrats on your first egg!

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Ugly eggs still equal yummy eggs!!!! Wash that blood off and it's 100% fine.

Come on get eggcited!!!![​IMG] You got your first egg!!!! Yahooooooo!!!!![​IMG]

8. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:It looks better washed up. Pretty good size too. Thanks.

9. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Im still getting and ocassional unusual egg from time to time.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh I think that egg is pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by