My first egg!

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Well, I knew it was coming.
This mornin my red sex link, who is only about 17 weeks, was sure acting funny. She is normally calm, and sings a lot. Well, this mornin, she kinda did her singsong mixed with somethin kinda like yelping. Sounded horrid but she was still fairly quiet about it. But she paced the pen. She jumped on the water jug. She pulled the food tray with her feet (she NEVER does that, the other one does, but Red never does), so I knew an egg was imminent.
Since the poor thing doesnt have a coop or nest box yet, I thought..."utoh" I thought I had a bit more time...sigh...guess I better quit procrastinating.
Anyhow, I pulled up a chair to watch the show. I watched..then had to take hubby to class, came home, watched some more...went to get hubby...came home and Red was laying down all calm and nonchalant like.
Hmm, I looked in the box I put in there, with the soft sweatshirt nest and golf balls. Well no sweatshirt, Fussy (my EE) had dragged it out. And the pine shavings..well I think they ate most of those...all I could see was some sad lil golfballs rolling around. I looked in the dirt..nothing. hmmmm...
Finally I looked in the bottom of the tv cart I had put in their pen for a roost (they love it too by the way), and there, on the slanty magazine shelf down at the bottom, (as far as possible across the pen from the lil nest I made with the golfballs), was a small brown egg.
I was sooooo thrilled but so sorry I missed it. I was only gone 20 minutes or so...DANG.
But anyhow, my girl is growing up....!!!! It was wonderful! Just had to share the news!
smile.png

Jill

Yay! Congratulations!
I'm just starting my second week of 'new' layers and this morning we cracked open a double-yolker!
Just as exciting as first time eggs!!

You know what they say...a watched pot never boils...

so it must be true that a watched hen never lays!!!!
gig.gif

Yeah, she was more than likely stalling the show 'til you left.

My girls are completely comfortable around me...EXCEPT when it comes to egg laying time, unless I catch them right when the egg is coming out, I never see it, just hear it.

Great job though!

Congratulations! First eggs are always exciting!

I've never caught one of my girls at the moment of lay but both of my kids have. My sweetest snuggly girl is a growler when she's in the nest box and anyone (other chickens, humans) take a peek at what she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom