My First Egg!

scooterward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Lenoir City, TN
Yay! We got our first egg from one of our Cayugas yesterday. Labor Day - how fitting. BUT she laid it in her bath pool! BLECH! Our two Cayugas were born at the beginning of April so I thought that any time after Labor Day they'd start laying.

When I went to check in their house yesterday morning, I noticed a little indent of a nest in the hay. I was so excited. I ran in and told DH that it's any day now. When we came back out to change their bath water, I saw the egg in there. Exciting! Because it was in the water, some of the green/gray coloring came off so I carefully handled it and let it dry. There are scratch marks and finger prints on it though but that's ok.

I took pictures and will scrapbook the wonderful event. Pics are still in the camera. Sorry!

My runner ducks just laid there first eggs over the weekend. What do you do with duck eggs? eat them just like chicken eggs? do they taste the same?
Terri

Congrats too!

Duck eggs are delicious to bake with. It's the secret ingredient.
wink.png
They have a similar taste/texture but not exactly the same - they are a little different. They are larger too. Most people prefer to bake with duck eggs and eat chicken eggs. Some people can't tell the difference between the two. There are people that do both with both so it's personal preference.

Enjoy!

Yay! Even more eggs! So I got one on Monday, TWO on Tuesday (again in the pool) and TWO more today (took out the pool last night). One was very black and smaller and the other was a grayish greenish color and consistent size all three days. At least we get to eat these two from today.

Eggciting!

Awesome!! My April birds just started laying too.

If you have an area you want them to lay in (NOT the pool, lol!), you can put golf balls there to encourage them. It really works remarkably well. But keep in mind that when they first start laying, it's a bit like a child potty training--they don't recognize their signals right away, so it takes a while for them to figure out how to put it where they want it at first.

Good luck, and congrats!!

I kinda made a 'nest' spot and put a wooden egg in there. This morning there was one egg laid in the house and one egg laid in the run. We've been taking their bath out at night and putting it back in after I collect the eggs. They'll get it shortly.

I baked brownies last night with our duck eggs. mmmmmmm!

Wonderful!! They'll get bigger for sure. My new eggs are so teeny--I had forgotten they could be that small! They look like green chicken eggs. But they're still really tasty! I sold about two dozen eggs today, so I'll get to eat my new little eggs soon (I always eat and sell the oldest eggs first, so they never get very old before they're consumed--they're still always under a week old at the time of sale). Yay!

Back
Top Bottom