1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by umanduhbree, Aug 20, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    It's been 5 months and 3 days since I brought my first batch of chicks home. We have been hearing a lot of noise this past week from our usually quiet hens, so we started checking three times a day for eggs with no luck. This morning I could barely get out of bed after a long day of work, but I went out to the coop where was charged at by ALpha Rooster who got a stern kick for being so aggressive. I opened the coop door and there it was, my first egg. I couldn't believe it. I just stared at it for a few minutes to make sure it was really there, and then I ran back to the house, woke up my fiancee who went to bed at 3:00am just to tell him that we had an egg!

I had been reading lots of posts about the first egg, and I didn't think I could care so much about it until I found one. WHat a cool feeling. I don't know what hen laid it, but they all got extra scratch and tomatoes for their god job.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Mine have just started this week...I have almost a dozen now...got 4 yesterday, it's like Christmas every day! [​IMG]

My hubby just laughs at me, my sisters call me a dork...ha!

[​IMG]

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Congrats! Mine just laid their 1st one today too! Must be a lucky day! [​IMG] Mine are just over 17 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by