My First Egg

KatieHoyle

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
Good Ole NC
Hello! Today my chicken laid her first egg! She's a black bantam, the egg is very small. I am so excited, but really nervous too because we're not sure how it's going to go. Any advice/tips for me? Thanks!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Thank you! She is a black bantam, I just edited my post to include this information, I realized I probably should've included it
tongue.png
. I got mine around the end of December, so it took her this long to lay! I'm so proud of her, it was so unexpected! I was outside feeding her mealworms, (she loves them!), and I noticed something white in one of her boxes! I went around and opened the lid and there it was! She rushed to show me what she had created, then she laid her head on it, it was so adorable!

Congratulations Katie, welcome to the flock. Generally the first eggs are the smallest and then will eventually get to the full size her breed (?) is capable of producing. Depending on that ,a bantam egg is usually equivalent to 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a regular sized chicken's egg. So you need more to make scrambled eggs or omelets.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes, bantam eggs are usually smaller so maybe my eggs will start to get a little bigger. We're not planning on eating any of the eggs, for now anyway, we're just going to let her sit on them and hatch them herself.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom