My first eggs !! Need advice ??

kbreak

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Columbia, MS
I am sure this is a dumb question but, to clean the eggs do you just wash them off with water and cloth ? So far my eggs don't have any visible poop on them. I wasn't sure if I just needed to wash under running water or wet cloth or something special ?

alright so this is kinda a preferance
most clean it them all before putting them in a frige
some dont clean them unless they are "dirty"
wink.png

and alot dont clean them at all

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=549842

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385579

read these you might get some good ideas
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for the information !!
I just wiped mine with a clean cloth and my husband was like you need to wash that before putting it in the fridge. The 3 eggs I have gotten have been clean without any visible dirt or stains.

If an egg looks clean, I don't do anything.
If it has a small smear on it, I wipe it with a damp cloth.
If it has a big smear and looks yuk I wash it under running water and set it aside to cook well (I usually like my eggs runny, but the dirty ones I make sure it all gets heated to food-safe levels)

I just run mine under warm water either way and just give them a good wipe over for the sake of the few seconds it take just makes me feel better about eating them they did just come out of a hens butt after all.

Last edited:
Water washes away the eggs ability to protect the egg so I just leave it as is, maybe wash it just before you use it.

We just use a dry cloth right before we crack them. We also don't refrigerate our eggs, but this is a personal preference. We have not had any eggs that were dirty. If you do choose to wash them, they must be refrigerated, because as a previous poster mentioned, you would wash off the natural protection that is on the egg.

If you are re-using or using those cardboard egg cartons.. just make sure you dry your eggs all the way before putting them in.. sometimes the shell gets stuck to the edges of the carton when pulling an egg out.. and then you have egg guts all over the place..

if you do wash it, wash it under warm water.. the cold water can crack eggs and draw surface contaminants into the permeable shell.. (ain't science nifty!?)

I dont wash em.. unless they are dirty. however, I do wash my hands after doing anything with the chickens... sounds like common sense.... but.. well... yeah.

Good luck and CONGRATS!
yippiechickie.gif

I am in the don't wash group. The eggs have a natural protection from bacteria that is removed when washed.
I do wipe the very few dirty eggs I've gotten with a soft cloth. I even mark the ones that were dirty so I remember and wash those eggs before cracking.
Yup to washing my hands after collecting the eggs and after cracking them.

Back
Top Bottom