My First Ever Geese Coming Soon--Brown Africans

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
The wife and I decided we wanted geese to go with our chicken and duck menagerie. Living in Virginia our options are narrowed down because not just anyone can ship birds here. They have to be tested for some disease first. Anyway, finally found some geese at Ideal Hatchery in Texas. They only had Chinese and African geese, so we went with the African. I just placed the order about 10 minutes ago. I'm so excited!
big_smile.png

I went through the forum and looked up all I can find about African geese, and I didn't see anything unfavorable to the breed. Most people who have or had them like them it seems. They are a good looking bird.

Well, nobody probably gives a hoot, but I thought I'd share!
celebrate.gif
:

Very good. I hope that they work out well for you. We don't have any geese but we hope to have a couple in the future.

Last edited:
I do have Africans!
clap.gif

They are such lovely birds! People always comment on their coloring, and how pretty they are!
In my experience they have are less aggressive than a lot of other breeds that claim to be "gentle", but maybe that's just because I hand raise them. They are not the best breed of geese for egg laying, but they are fairly good.
I don't know how nice of geese Ideal Hatchery has, having never ordered from them, but I hope they turn out beautiful! Thick necks, dewlaps and all!
ya.gif

Thanks guys! Well, I guess somebody does give a hoot! HA! I just say crazy stuff sometimes. I don't mean anything by it, so don't pay attention when I do.

If The Goose Fits, I appreciate the encouraging information. From the pictures I've seen they are beautiful birds. They are to arrive here next Thursday or Friday. I'm all excited, so it will probably be Friday. Ha!

Hey, I have a couple of questions. I've never ordered any kind of animal through the post office before. Do they ship them with some food and water or are they just on their own till the get here? I did pay an additional few dollars for some kind of nutritious supplement that is supposed to perk them up after their journey. I'm only getting three birds, but the stuff is enough for 100 birds. The woman said I could keep giving it to them till it was all gone. Anyone have any experience with that stuff? Could I give it to my chickens too and use it all up?

I have some Peking ducks and a mallard also. From what I read they should all get along pretty good. We have a bunch of chickens too, and the ducks are mixed in with them right now. Would the geese get along with them if they are raised up with them, or should I build a separate pen and enclosure for the waterfowl? We let them all out during the day as long as someone is here to watch out for them and put them up at night. I understand the geese do best if they have plenty of room to roam around during the day. And we have plenty of room for that.

Well, I appreciate any responses. I'm tickled to have found this site. I've had lots fun reading all about the different birds and their habits and personalities. This is our first year ever seriously raising birds, and I'm quite surprised to find how enjoyable it is. AND ADDICTIVE! I LOVE fooling with those little boogers.
smile.png

I assume it is Grogel you ordered. It comes in a very small package like unflavored geletan. You mix it with about a half of a cup of water and stir. It swells up an turns green. Just sprinkle it on top of their food and they will get the idea.

Congrats on the geese!! I got my first geese a couple of weeks ago. We are enjoying them SO much...that is, all but the broody hen and her chicks in the next brooder over. That bird keeps getting up on the edge of her box to stare at the noisy strangers next door.

I'm the proud parent of 2 African geese Larry and Lisa they are my pen patrol they are out with all my birds when I have new animals to intruduce I put them in a seprate pen in with the rest so everybody get a chance to meet and get used to each other for a couple of days. I do this with all my small fowl. It seems to help so they don't really pick on each other when I let the new ones out. Larry and Lisa are normally the first to come say hello and ck things out if they feel all is good then everyone is good they are truely my patrol they wait for everyone else to go to bed at night and if I'm not home at bed time for some reason they will lay at the entrance of my barn and give me a lecture when I do come home.LOL Ive had these 2 for a year now and have gotten hissed at twice once by lisa when she had a hurt leg and I was checking her for injury and once by larry when lisa was on the nest he didn't want me in the pen. They will become very protective of each other. I think you got yourself some great birds as you can tell I love mine and would go crazy if they weren't here and to think I didn't want them but my husband did. They love the water like most waterfowl and if you want when they are little startin to feather put a paint pan with them so they can bathe works good not to deep and they have a ramp to walk on. Good Luck and have fun....I agree this is one of the greatest sites for birds or any animal and there owners. Larry and Lisa are my avatar they where trying to hatch a egg sorry to say it didn't work but have 8 eggs going into bator this weekend...

Last edited:
Congrats on your new babies!
Make sure to raise them by hand and give them a lot of reasons to like you!

Africans (as well as any goose breed) can be extremely loud and aggressive without proper handling.
I can't wait to see pictures of the babies!

Quote:
I can't wait to put the pictures on here!

B & B, your story of Larry and Lisa makes me just want mine to hurry up and get here. The wife is excited too.

So, what is the best way to make friends with the geese? I imagine holding them and petting them would be good. What about feeding them from hand? Will that make them want to bite you if you don't have a treat for them? Any other stuff I should do to endear them to me? I'm not going to kiss them on the lips!

Back
Top Bottom