1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My first ever soft shell egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Subirdban Farm, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Subirdban Farm

Subirdban Farm In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Hanover PA
    and can I just say, EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW! [​IMG] Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! [​IMG] AACCCKKKKKK!!! [​IMG] I almost threw up. I had to get the garden spade to get it out. I was NOT going to touch it. It rolled off the spade and splat on the ground. Then my dog grabbed it and ate it! [​IMG] [​IMG] No kisses from her for the next week.

2. Jillylam

Jillylam Songster

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I actually thought the soft shelled egg was fun to play with - squishy!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I found one the other day as well. Imagine my surpeise, when I look into the nest box...see 3 eggs...and reach in to grab one thats warm and squishy! I pulled my hand right back out. Thought it might have been a mouse or something worse. I had to look again! Yup, its a softy...and still warm. Altho I dont like getting them, they are neat once in a while!

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Songster

Jan 1, 2008
    I got my first softy a few weeks ago, scrambled it and fed to the chickens.

I was told not to let me dog have any becasue they like it and might start eating them when you don't want them to have them. Be careful.... [​IMG]

5. Nichole77

Nichole77 Songster

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I scramble them and feed them to the dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: