My first flock of four ...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lowcountryroo, Sep 2, 2013.

1. lowcountryroo

lowcountryroo New Egg

Sep 2, 2013
    I have raised these birds from chicks and they are now several months old. It is clear I have one rooster in the mix Can be remain in residence with just three hens? Everyone seems to be getting along. He has a great personality and I really want to keep him. We handle him frequently and he seems fine with the interaction. Thanks!

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG] Should be fine. Some roos are more, um, randy than others. If your hens are getting battered, probably best to re-home him, otherwise, no problem.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Sometimes as the hormones kick in roosters may turn mean, roosters in small flocks can badly beat up hens because when roosters mount hens they will get some feathers ripped out. But as long as he is getting along well with the other chickens you should keep him.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lowcountryroo, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I agree with the posts above. Hope he behaves himself! Good luck to you!

5. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Your rooster should be fine with three pullets. I would say just keep an eye on the pullets for them getting too beat up. Also there are always ways to try and break roosters from biting at the hens too much or any bird from biting another too much for that matter.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] if he is a good boy, you could get him a few more hens to keep him busy.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I have 1 rooster, 3 hens and 4 small chicks at the moment. One of the hens is broody and sitting and one is busy raising her chicks. But there hasn't been any problems. The one "available" hen is not getting too much attention and the broodies are being left in peace. So it can be done, but it does depend on the rooster.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You've been given some good advice here, good luck to you!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Hopefully your rooster will remain a gentleman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by