My first Fox attack that ended in a kill

Ok here is the opinion of an animal control officer. Kill the fox!!! The next chance you get. I know people want to trap and release them somewhere else but truth is foxes carry rabies so if it has or is carrying rabies and you trap it. Then take it somewhere else you stand the chance of contaminating another area with the rabies virus. If it is attacking your livestock you have the legal right to protect your animals and family so kill it and bury it three feet deep and at least 300 feet from any flowing water. If your dog attacked the fox and is not up to date on rabies shots contact your local animal control officer. It can take up to 6 months to show up in your dog. If it was up to date on shots get it a booster shot asap. Any raccoons, foxes, skunks etc should never be transplanted to a different area. Best for your animals , family and the fox itself is to kill it before the rabies virus takes hold. Rabies is a terrible way for any animal to die. By the way it will come back if you dont kill it! Sorry so long but thats the truth on ghe matter.

Ok here is the opinion of an animal control officer. Kill the fox!!! The next chance you get. I know people want to trap and release them somewhere else but truth is foxes carry rabies so if it has or is carrying rabies and you trap it. Then take it somewhere else you stand the chance of contaminating another area with the rabies virus. If it is attacking your livestock you have the legal right to protect your animals and family so kill it and bury it three feet deep and at least 300 feet from any flowing water. If your dog attacked the fox and is not up to date on rabies shots contact your local animal control officer. It can take up to 6 months to show up in your dog. If it was up to date on shots get it a booster shot asap. Any raccoons, foxes, skunks etc should never be transplanted to a different area. Best for your animals , family and the fox itself is to kill it before the rabies virus takes hold. Rabies is a terrible way for any animal to die. By the way it will come back if you dont kill it! Sorry so long but thats the truth on the matter.

Ok here is the opinion of an animal control officer. Kill the fox!!! The next chance you get. I know people want to trap and release them somewhere else but truth is foxes carry rabies so if it has or is carrying rabies and you trap it. Then take it somewhere else you stand the chance of contaminating another area with the rabies virus. If it is attacking your livestock you have the legal right to protect your animals and family so kill it and bury it three feet deep and at least 300 feet from any flowing water. If your dog attacked the fox and is not up to date on rabies shots contact your local animal control officer. It can take up to 6 months to show up in your dog. If it was up to date on shots get it a booster shot asap. Any raccoons, foxes, skunks etc should never be transplanted to a different area. Best for your animals , family and the fox itself is to kill it before the rabies virus takes hold. Rabies is a terrible way for any animal to die. By the way it will come back if you dont kill it! Sorry so long but thats the truth on the matter.

Ya I already called my vet on the dog. He got a scratch on his face but no bite marks he is going to go in for boosters though even though he just got shots a few months ago. (He is still kinda a puppy) I was shocked that he actually caught him the fox didnt even run when my dog came out bet he thought he was faster. But the dogos are bred to catch mountain lions and pigs (my pup also likes to case rabbits) from now on though I am not going to let him out. just didnt really know what to do the fox kept coming up on my porch and I thought maybe my dog would scare him off which didnt work cause the fox came back. I think someone that lives close to me is feeding him he really isnt scared of people at all and acts like he could care less. This morning he was out marking (peeing) the stairs to my porch and next to my car
he.gif
I borrowed my friends live trap (cause I dont have a gun at the moment) and when I trap him my friend is going to come out and shoot him and take him somewhere to get ride of him. Thanks for your advice I tried to call animal control and they didnt really seem to care, giving me no advice on the matter

6 days! I wish! Here in Canada, got to take 2 courses & exams. Got all done in a weekend in spring. Then WAIT 6 more months to get firearm's license. Now I'm ready for this spring's foxes! Better late than never! I've got .17hmr, .22lr, 20 gauge shotgun. Good luck getting that fox! You go girl!

6 days! I wish! Here in Canada, got to take 2 courses & exams. Got all done in a weekend in spring. Then WAIT 6 more months to get firearm's license. Now I'm ready for this spring's foxes! Better late than never! I've got .17hmr, .22lr, 20 gauge shotgun. Good luck getting that fox! You go girl!

Geez I am sorry that sucks :/ Well if Obama (BLAH) has anything to say about it I am sure it will get harder to buy weapons in the USA :'( Just wish I had one now so I could shoot the crazy stupid thing. I didnt want to kill it at first but now its just toying with me and making me mad. Not to mention he killed my Daughters fav chicken!!!!
Well I pray you have no fox run-ins this year good luck to you as well :)

Thanks for your kind words! Someone else here didn't believe me when I said these varmints have a knack for getting your favorite bird. I hear this kind of story often on other forums too. I feel for you! Beauty is only fur deep, lol! It wears on ya! Got a FoxPro for Xmas, so if I can't catch him in the act, at least I can call him in for a close shot, away from flock! Giggidy! Lol!

LOL ya I like foxes they are pretty and I use to have a family of them at my old place I would get to watch the pups play around and it was adorable (before I had chickens) now I cant even sleep at night every noise I hear terrifies me... makes me think it got to one of my chickens. I have had my chickens for months now and never had a problem just the last three nights. Its like a war at my house right now. Work my butt off in the day to fort knox my coop and run then stay up all night trying to fend the fox off lol. And of course it all happens while my husband is out of town and I have two kids, two puppies and now 20 chickens to take care of all by myself (I picked up 6 seven month old hens today so excited)
wee.gif

and ps I just got my hubby a huge 33 inch snowblower with all the bells and whistles (cause we have a 425 foot driveway) for valentines day so now he has to buy me a gun nothing says love like throwing snow and shooting things haha
woot.gif

Oh yeah, the noises! A fox sounds like a woman screaming! Scary noises, that thankfully, I'm able to identify now.
Having any kind of livestock, changes everything, doesn't it? Much to our frustration! You sure have a lot on your plate! Can you create a shooting range on your property? We have a blast with our guns, once hubby sights them in! Once you have a gun, practise is important. I find holding my breath just before squeezing the trigger works well for me to get good accuracy. Find some paper targets with those varmints you want to eradicate printed on them.
Sounds like you guys really love each other! That's Awesome! Best of luck to ya! :)

Thanks you too. Ya my target practice use to be crows that would wake me up at 5 am so I would go out with my BB gun lol. I think I would rather go to the shooting range picking up bullets is not my fav thing to do. I use to live out east in co and my friends parents had a huge cattle ranch we would should at the coyotes in calving season now that was a horrible time. UG I HATE COYOTES Someone today at the feed store told me that geese would keep foxes away?!?! have you ever heard/tried anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom