My first Fox attack that ended in a kill

eekkk Jack Russels scare the crap out of me. I got attacked by two of them a few years back those things tore up my arms once they get a hold of something they start swinging in circles. I took my Husbands old french bulldog out to go potty and out of nowhere these jacks come running up to us I picked up our dog Harley and they still attacked. My sweatshirt was torn I was kicking them and I guess screaming for my hubby he had to come out of our condo grab a stick and beat these stupid little dogs off me. I still have scars all over my arms.

I love dogs but little dogs get away with way much more then big ones. I know this sounds stupid but I have only ever been bit by small dogs and so have a few of my friends even my daughter got snapped at by a small dog. I stick with the big ones lol I grew up around pitbulls so I guess big dogs dont really scare me to much.

Had a huge group of bull elk (13 of them) go through my yard last night. So far they are the only ones I have seen two of them were huge about 16points (if not more a piece) they were so pretty and it really made me want to go hunting lol.
Oh yeah, small dogs are nasty! I can't imagine how scary that experience was for you. Holy crap! I've always found them just as menacing as larger dogs when I was young. Never actually been bit by any dog though.

Oh wow, elk!!! Now you're probably wondering when they'll be back! Some good trophies there!

Yeah, understood about dogo - I know they're not pitbulls, but the original line was a fighter. They bred it out, but is it all gone in all dogs - of course a g ret can bite, too - but won't kill. (if so, it's very rare) - but a 120 lb dog, if it bites, it's bad -- and yeah, not sure I'd want a dog that big. Great breed tho, for the right person.. If their scenting instincts are good, I bet they'd do great.

You'd be surprised what people hunt with Jack Russels - leopard! I know someone who saw that, and the little JR was amazing. Got clawed but lived.. Anyway, you don't always need a huge dog - and we don't have enough land really - baiting feral hogs would be much simpler.

I hear ya. A guy with a baseball bat can kill helpless people. You don't need a multi shot rifle to murder people - that evil McVeigh killed hundreds with fertilizer.

But you do need a good rifle to defend yourself, especially from tyranny - and modern urbanites don't get this. They're already slaves, anyway - to big companies or the gov't, if they have a gov't job - they're just blind to the big picture and ignorant of our history.

And perfectly willing to force their ignorance, by myopic laws, on the rest of us.
I'm going to need to replace my mutt one day. Wonder what I should get. Don't want anything apt to roam, since I can't put fence up. I would need to train along our natural borders. Doesn't help with access to public snowmobile trail either. He used to chase them and ATVs. Ugh! He's good now, but then a going concern! A dog that could hunt coons and grouse would be great! And chase off yotes. Might need 2 dogs then.

Yeah, big corporate slaves, like my poor, dear hubby. Lol! (no offense taken) He'll be retiring in next 5-10 years. I'm helping to open his eyes, by living off the land here now. He's come a long way already! Loved your rant earlier in the thread MyGirls, btw!
wink.png
Going to keep plugging away at the self sufficiency lifestyle. Need some dairy goats next!

I have a German Wirehaired Pointer she wont roam out of the yard or chase people/vehicles. She is a great grouse dog and will go after any wild animal around the property. She wouldn't be good for an actual coon hunt though, fighting coon in the yard she'd do but not a hunt, the bird dogs don't have the instinct to run coon and tree them, you would need one of the hound breeds for that, hard to get a hunting dog that will hunt everything proficiently.

If you can't put up a fence you could use a wireless dog fence, it is like the one where you bury the wire except it doesn't require a burried wire, you just plug the box in and it allows the dog a certain radius to roam in.

Oh yeah, small dogs are nasty! I can't imagine how scary that experience was for you. Holy crap! I've always found them just as menacing as larger dogs when I was young. Never actually been bit by any dog though.

Oh wow, elk!!! Now you're probably wondering when they'll be back! Some good trophies there!

Ya it wasnt very fun lol it only lasted like 3 mins but felt like forever

Those elk were HUGE I dont know if I am allowed to hunt on my property or not but if they keep coming back I just might have to go get a bigger rifle and a hunting tag lol

I'm going to need to replace my mutt one day. Wonder what I should get. Don't want anything apt to roam, since I can't put fence up. I would need to train along our natural borders. Doesn't help with access to public snowmobile trail either. He used to chase them and ATVs. Ugh! He's good now, but then a going concern! A dog that could hunt coons and grouse would be great! And chase off yotes. Might need 2 dogs then.

Yeah, big corporate slaves, like my poor, dear hubby. Lol! (no offense taken) He'll be retiring in next 5-10 years. I'm helping to open his eyes, by living off the land here now. He's come a long way already! Loved your rant earlier in the thread MyGirls, btw!
wink.png
Going to keep plugging away at the self sufficiency lifestyle. Need some dairy goats next!
I love cane corsos they are super gentle but protective lol Probably a little to big for a farm though lol.

Ug again wish we lived in the same area lol. I have really been trying to talk my hubby into getting a male and female mini dairy cow (milk, cheese, sour cream ect.) then when we breed once a year we can butcher the calf for meat I think one that size would be perfect for our family meat wise... But sadly its going to take some more convincing for my hubby haha. We are only on 2 acres I am really hoping that Birds dont count toward my 10 limit livestock cause I would love to get two goats two mini cows and some pigs. Plus my egg layers, meat chicken and turkeys lol

Ya sorry if the rant seemed like a little to much lol I was sick and watching some stupid stuff on tv about gun laws. I really didnt want to come across like I dont care about gun violence cause I do. I feel very horrible every time I turn on the news and see that someone has killed someone else. But I just dont feel that taking away guns would really solve anything. :(

I have a German Wirehaired Pointer she wont roam out of the yard or chase people/vehicles. She is a great grouse dog and will go after any wild animal around the property. She wouldn't be good for an actual coon hunt though, fighting coon in the yard she'd do but not a hunt, the bird dogs don't have the instinct to run coon and tree them, you would need one of the hound breeds for that, hard to get a hunting dog that will hunt everything proficiently.

If you can't put up a fence you could use a wireless dog fence, it is like the one where you bury the wire except it doesn't require a burried wire, you just plug the box in and it allows the dog a certain radius to roam in.

We had a dog on a fence like that, was a box that we put in out house you could set like a bubble around your house it would send a signal to the collar instead of having to bury the wire. Its nice cause you can always change the distance by just turning the nob.

She was a German pointer too she was crazy lol would try to eat all the voles (did a few times) even caught a munk the only thing I would worry about with that breed is if it would go after the chickens while they are free ranging :/ But I guess you can always train that out.

Thanks for the tips blucoondawg & MyGirls! I did look into the box thingy before, but for some reason wouldn't work at that time. I'll look into it again though.
Was thinking I need 2 different dogs for different purposes. Your GWP sounds really good! I can just trap the coons in the chicken yard at night if I need to. Will that dog be all right with free ranging chickens? By all right, I mean not eating them, lol! I sure would love a furry buddy to help hunt the grouse on my property!

Seeing some BIG coon tracks in the snow out back lately. Seen some canine tracks as well. Usually the coyotes sink in the snow, but these are just a nice light print on top of the snow. Could it be fox? Or was the snow crusted over when the yote walked thru? Something sprayed something skunky on a pine bough that my dog rolled in. Could that be fox, or that coon? I know, too much time on my hands!

Definitely find out about those elk! Wow, that would be awesome good eats. A trophy rack is a nice bonus too! Then you need a nice big gun!
Hey, I don't blame you for ranting. I'm know you're not alone with thoughts like that. There has to be a middle ground here in regards to gun ownership. Country folks NEED them & I'll be darned if society at large wants to take them away from us! We can't let that happen.

We had a dog on a fence like that, was a box that we put in out house you could set like a bubble around your house it would send a signal to the collar instead of having to bury the wire. Its nice cause you can always change the distance by just turning the nob.

She was a German pointer too she was crazy lol would try to eat all the voles (did a few times) even caught a munk the only thing I would worry about with that breed is if it would go after the chickens while they are free ranging :/ But I guess you can always train that out.

My dog is a German Wirehaired Pointer or GWP, she isn't crazy at all, I know what you are describing though, many of the bird dog breeds are pretty nuts especially at young age, I have found the GWP to be overall a calmer dog than the German Shorthaired Pointer or GSP, it shows in its hunting as well, the GWP is more likely to hunt more slowly and not range as far from the hunter, the GSP I have been around seem to like to range farther out of range of the hunter and also seem overall more hyper, though they are nice dogs as well. It also helps to have your dog as a house pet as well as a hunting dog, when they live indoors and have daily companionship they tend to mind better and not get so hyper, kenneled or yard chained dogs tend to be harder to work with in my experience. The chickens could be a problem with the dog but it has been my experience that they learn rather quickly to leave them alone, my dog will point grouse scent instantly, she has since she was a pup but she doesn't point the chickens, she must not associate them with a game bird scent. She will go after mice, squirrels, etc. I am sure she would run off fox and coon probably even coyote.
Thanks for the tips blucoondawg & MyGirls! I did look into the box thingy before, but for some reason wouldn't work at that time. I'll look into it again though.
Was thinking I need 2 different dogs for different purposes. Your GWP sounds really good! I can just trap the coons in the chicken yard at night if I need to. Will that dog be all right with free ranging chickens? By all right, I mean not eating them, lol! I sure would love a furry buddy to help hunt the grouse on my property!

Seeing some BIG coon tracks in the snow out back lately. Seen some canine tracks as well. Usually the coyotes sink in the snow, but these are just a nice light print on top of the snow. Could it be fox? Or was the snow crusted over when the yote walked thru? Something sprayed something skunky on a pine bough that my dog rolled in. Could that be fox, or that coon? I know, too much time on my hands!

Definitely find out about those elk! Wow, that would be awesome good eats. A trophy rack is a nice bonus too! Then you need a nice big gun!
Hey, I don't blame you for ranting. I'm know you're not alone with thoughts like that. There has to be a middle ground here in regards to gun ownership. Country folks NEED them & I'll be darned if society at large wants to take them away from us! We can't let that happen.
Fox prints will be quite small and usually in a perfectly straight line, not staggered like most animal tracks. As for the dog my dog is quite intelligent she takes well to all sorts of training and it was not necessary to even house break her she didn't pee on the floor except for having a UTI when she was a pup. The problem I do run into is she is smart enough to know when she does something bad and also smart enough to know that she can get away with doing it if you aren't looking. So it does take some good consistent training but it is possible. A good waterproof hunter grade training collar from a company like tritronics doesn't hurt either, my dog learned in a hurry with the collar. My buddy had a springer spaniel who was very birdy when we graduated highschool he decided to raise some Cornish X, all it took was 1 zap with the cattle prod and that dog never looked at the chickens again, he raised them yearly and the dog never bothered them nor did he ever have to zap the dog after that first time.

The GWP sounds perfect!!! Our property is 18 acres, but most of it is dense woods with just a couple of trails. Would love to expand them, but the conservation authorities would not be happy about it. I would say that there is about 5 acres that are traversable, so its important for the dog not to get too far from us. Are they like a 60 lb dog? 40-60 is good. Are they good on rabbits too, btw?

My flock protector mutt likes to kill everything from mice to muskrats. He doesn't often eat them though. My smaller mutt will eat what he kills. It's just another form of protein anyway. I actually saw my favorite hen catch and eat a mouse once. I think it's cool that some can forage for a large part of their food supply.

563094_10200607004638299_667909120_n.jpg
May I add my 2 cents? GET YOURSELF AN ENGLISH SHEPHERD! You'll never have to worry about wandering, protect what is masters till the end. Herding qualities rivals any herding breed, and protect, protect, protect. My dog will also follow me out on horseback, and stay with me at all times. What ever you teach it to do... it'll do! Sometimes called English Shadows, they will be right by your side while you work, keep cattle off master, same with moving geese, chickens, pigs. etc. They are what you make them. Also have a turn off switch. My dog will round the girls up at night, and put em in the coop for me...

Back
Top Bottom