My first Fox attack that ended in a kill

Hey Mygirls, I looked up mini jerseys and found a site comparing them with goats. AI for a mini is at least $120 including shipping. That may not include your vet's charge, if u use a vet. Mini J's are $2,000 a piece and up, if this site is right! They say an a2/a2 cow is $5,000 (genetic thing)! Bulls are expensive, too!

Dexters are not much cheaper, IIRC, and though the long legged kind is taller than a mini J, they are still pretty small - and do milk.

Goats would make a lot more sense. You can get a doe for $300 or less - I wouldn't go for a show quality one that costs more - you don't need it. You can run at least 4 to an acre, maybe a lot more. Just put them inside at night for coyote protection. The fence they'll need may keep coyotes out, too - goats need expensive fencing, btw - cows can do w/ cheap barbed wire.

I didn't know goat milk is naturally homoginized, and you'd need a separator to get goat cream out. And it won't make butter.

Goats' diets are different from cows, as you may know. They are browsers and not made to live on grass, like cows are. They can, but they prefer forbs (weeds, not grass) and browsing - bushes and stuff. Your yard would probably be okay for goats, though. Deer, for example, can't live on grass - they eat it - but they get little nutrition from it and need other things.

Mela, yeah donkeys have awesome reps as LGs. Okay, have you considered a "methane digester" for your manure? This means not just composting it, but collecting the methane for use as you compost it. A continual production digester is a long chamber, often buried and slanted, and you feed it at the top often - and out the bottom comes out compost (if buried, which is advantageous, u need a "pit" to get the sludge out).

Okay, mehtane can be very dangerous but is safe if handled right. Trying to store it is the hardest part. You could try filtering it and pumping it into a tank, but that's a mess - and expensive. There are bladders systems, but if oxygen gets sucked back into the bladder (or somehow enters it) - they can blow up. Continual burn is safest - and 200 lbs a day of manure should support a continual burn. You can shift where it is burning - like the water heater - a range top - house heater - barn heater - or just flare it off when not needed. An engine to make electricity is possible but expensive. Also, continual burn means that no or little filtering of the methane is needed.

Also, you can get heat by running clean water pipes through the digester and heating this water - which is piped through the flooring of a building. It's a lot of work to set up and would take adjustment in your rourtine to use, but it's worth looking into. Tons of good sites on it, just google around if interested.

Mini jerseys are so cute! Dairy goats are definitely versatile. I'm sure MyGirls, you could make it work, which ever animals you choose! I might have to wait a couple more years for my goats. More land is a good option too.

Melabella, love the chickens! Nice donkey too, to kick coyote butts! There's a sheep farmer nearby that has 6 of them. Lots of land there. They even put up a bunch of scarecrows around one side of fence. Must get a lot of yotes there.

Yeah Steemroo, seen that Leaving Amish series. It is sad. To be shunned just because you left? I think there are some folks who just want someone else to take over their lives. To make decisions for them, and not have to think. These folks are lost on so many levels. What happened to them to make them just want to give up? I feel sorry for them all.

Well, I've got my BIL coming from out of town to stay a week. Not sure how much time I'll be able to spend here. I'll check in when I can!

Ya I know I dont have enough land to have a manure mound I dont want to ruin my water in the process lol My trash company picks up every kind of manure you can think of so I think I will be doing that. I was hoping to find a group of people out in my area maybe team up on everything (there are some cow farmers and stuff out here) I would love to get into trading I can do chickens, turkeys, pigs ect while other do cows maybe hay on their land and then trade goods but its a little harder to find stuff like that then some would think lol. There arent a lot of adds on craigs list for it haha. Thats why I think the mini cows would be a good idea but again I am worried about the space I have. When I was younger my horse was kept on 7 acres so she had a lot of space to move around even though these little cows are smaller 2 acres seems small :/ But I guess it cant hurt to try lol

Great pic by the way :)
Just curious do you have a shallow well or artisan deep well? It just sounds wrong to put manure in the trash, it's kind of defeating the whole raising your own idea. Nobody around who would take take it? No I am not some whacked out tree hugger I don't believe in global warming etc but land does get robbed of minerals etc when petro fertilizer gets used. I am not organic by any means, I will spray for potato beatles and I toss miracle grow on tomato plants in the summer but time and time again my garden is the best the years I haul in bed loads of manure Do you have a tractor to move stuff around? Never seen the miniature cow. You should take more pics and make a calender. My wife wants dairy goats and I want to get a piglet this spring.

I haven't ever heard of harming a well from composting manure either. Shallow well or drilled well. That is strange to me.

Just curious do you have a shallow well or artisan deep well? It just sounds wrong to put manure in the trash, it's kind of defeating the whole raising your own idea. Nobody around who would take take it? No I am not some whacked out tree hugger I don't believe in global warming etc but land does get robbed of minerals etc when petro fertilizer gets used. I am not organic by any means, I will spray for potato beatles and I toss miracle grow on tomato plants in the summer but time and time again my garden is the best the years I haul in bed loads of manure Do you have a tractor to move stuff around? Never seen the miniature cow. You should take more pics and make a calender. My wife wants dairy goats and I want to get a piglet this spring.

Someone told me a long time ago that My compost pile has to be at least 400 feet away from the well head. They said that it would ruin your well if you let a huge pile of compost sit next to it. I dont know how deep my well is I guess I should get that checked out. I do not have a tractor :/ Maybe I can get one and a spreader or something.

Ya I would love to get pigs lol they eat anything!!

Steamroo those are some pricey cows lol Didnt know they were that much I think I will try goats out first and see how that goes. I think I may have found someone to trade with for beef we will see how that goes lol.

Yeah, that is a high price - you would only make $ back selling calves and if others pay that. Now, realistically, I bet you can get a mini j cheaper than that. But at $200 for a young Nigerian doe - or w/e goat breed you go for - it's hard to go wrong. What goat breed would you go for?

Septic lines run above the basic aquifer of a whole lot of private wells, and none of that gets in the water in a vast majority of cases.

That said, if the well is shallow and if waste is near the pipe, it can travel down the pipe - if not concrete slabbed and s o on.. Yeah, you don't want a leach line or a composter near the pipe. Otherwise you are fine. Compost away. I guess put composter down hill of pump house. Heck you got 2 acres - but ... I guess wouldn't hurt to double check with someone.

Eggs for beef? Or goat cheese for beef? Sounds good. Home grown beef is different from store beef - you probably have had it. It is good.

You can alway do meaty chickens. Rangers still grow fast but aren't freaks like Cornish rock x. New Hampshire's are a great dual purpose breed - and the roos grow faster than other heritage breeds. Some take 16 or more weeks and never get particularly big.

Last edited:
I just found a new resource for a meat breed. The rare Belgian Malines. Some guy bought a trio, on a whim, & found out later what they were. Quite a happy accident! The seller was elderly & had been raising the breed for over 20 years. Anywho, the buyer is going to try to establish a nice sustainable meat flock. Good thing there's another guy on this other site that has them as well, & will sell & ship hatching eggs.

Just found the back half of a stray/feral/farm cat on the snowmobile trail. Looks like the yotes or foxes were at it. Yuck! Couldn't find any tracks around it. Looks like one I got a pic of from my trail cam last year. Smelled like skunk further up the trail. Hmmmm....things that make me think about what goes on around here. Perhaps the pred was nearby, waiting to finish his meal?

Back
Top Bottom