My First Goose!

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
Last night a lady surrendered her goose, turkey, chicken, and peahen to my animal rescue. This is my first time with all those birds, except the chicken. I have many chickens :)

But this is my awesome goose friend!

And while I am here, I do have a question. She clearly knows how to fly, just by looking at her when she flaps her wings. So much air comes off. How do I keep her from flying away?

Looks like a Toulouse goose. I have three and yes they can fly. However once she gets used to her home she will probably onlly do a little short distance low flying for exercise. My geese like me to get out in the field and run and they fly along behind me. Most domestic geese can only achieve limited flight due to their size.

Looks like a Toulouse goose. I have three and yes they can fly. However once she gets used to her home she will probably onlly do a little short distance low flying for exercise. My geese like me to get out in the field and run and they fly along behind me. Most domestic geese can only achieve limited flight due to their size.
The lady who surrendered her to me, said she was a Toulouse goose :) Okay, so I will keep her in her coop for a week or more, so she learns it's home.

She's a very pretty goose. Will you keep her or try to find an adoptive home?

The lady who surrendered her to me, said she was a Toulouse goose :) Okay, so I will keep her in her coop for a week or more, so she learns it's home.
That should work. I am sure you know all this but just in case...geese will and can eat commercial feed but the MUST have greens and lots of them. They are grazers and will survive very nicely on grass and a few treats. The commercial feed comes in to play in the winter when grass is scarce. If there is no place for her to range then supplement with Romaine lettuce or any other leafy green except Iceberg lettuce which has to much fiber in it and very little nutrition. Mine really love water melon and several kinds of berries also but those are mainly as treats.

Keep up the good work and if you have any questions this is the place to get the answers.

Congrats on the new addition. She is precious. I wouldn't worry about her flying. The main thing for her is that she will need lots of fresh water to drink and swim in. Kiddy pools work great, but a large heavy rubber tub will suffice in a pinch. Her diet is more akin to a horse than a chicken. Grass grazing is ideal, but fresh high quality grass hay or dark green veggies (except spinach!) also are good. Mazuri waterfowl is gold standard for commercial grain mix, but Flockraiser is also pretty good stuff. Fresh corn (shucked on the ear) and watermelon (rinds and all) are my geese's favorite treats.

She's so pretty!

We have a Gander, but he can't fly.
He got grabbed by his previous owners son by the wing as a gosling, so the very end of the wings bone sticks straight out. (I know it's not angel wing, we have been feeding him the right feed and have even tried taping it back together.)
Well.... That, and he's too fat for much of anything but mate the ducks. XD

0.jpg

She's so pretty!

We have a Gander, but he can't fly.
He got grabbed by his previous owners son by the wing as a gosling, so the very end of the wings bone sticks straight out. (I know it's not angel wing, we have been feeding him the right feed and have even tried taping it back together.)
Well.... That, and he's too fat for much of anything but mate the ducks. XD

0.jpg
Aww Poor fella, glad you got him away from that situation. you can clip back his feathers on that wing to help keep him from catching it on things. Pretty gander and ducks.

Back
Top Bottom