My first hatch! excited and now what?!!

scrapnfool

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Rogersville, MO
I know that I have probably gone about this all wrong, however, this is the situation and I need advice. I have 3 silkie hens, all broody that have been sitting on 4 eggs. One of them hatched this morning. So cute!! I also have 3 silkie roosters in the same coop. Do I need to separate the chick from the others? Leave the chick with the hens and roosters? Take the chick into the house and place in brooder? Is it ok to have only 1 chick by itself? Not sure if the other are going to hatch. No cracks yet. I'm confused. What should I do?

well If they arnt in crowded conditions, she will defend that chick...You know the old saying a mom can lift a freight train off her baby. Mommys can be pretty feirce unless shes overwhelmed with too many curious adults crowding and can injure .and no space to move her baby. Silkies are pretty good parents I hear....Be very careful the chick doesnt drown in water bowls too big. I personnaly seperate brooding hens when they start to thier own location...But I have a freind who had the good old back yard chickens and they come out of hiding somewhere babies in tow, she said sometimes some of the others try to steal the babies for themselves. beware predetors neighbor cats ect... they love new chicks. My freind puts all of her adult waterers up on flat rocks where the new babies cant get into them and drown. If you have enogh room they should be fine, if not put them in thier own little pen cant stress enough mommy drinkers can drown babies. Chickens been doing this in a flock long befor we came around to worry ourselves about them.

Last edited:
You don't *have* to separate the chick, but you can if you want. All alone in the brooder will be a bit stressful. For just one baby I'd vote for a box in the house with a brooder light, food, water, and attention.

Silkies are very good mothers, so the baby should be fine in the coop. Just make sure there is food and water at baby chick level, and be careful of drowning as others have said.

Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts. I just brought the chick inside and put it under the heat lamp with food and water. Typical small red waterer. Should be ok I think. Of course I will be checking on it off and on all night long. It's such an amazing miracle to think that God created this little creature in less than a month. When I think about the instincts it already has, I'm just so awed! I'm so thankful I get to be a new "mommy"! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom