My first Hatch-Picture

Woods_Woman

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Oregon Rain Forest
As a newbie I made the error of setting two different sets of eggs 5 days apart in the same incubator. Upon ordering my eggs I was in the process of looking at incubators and deciding which was right for me. It so happened my aunt called and we got to talking and she informed me she had an old incubator I could have. Turned out it was a hovabator 1583 with egg turner, when she gave me the bator she also gave me 2 of her bantam eggs. As I waited for my ordered eggs to arrive I set up the bator with the 2 eggs, 5 days later I set another 12(ended up with 8 fertile.) Lock down comes for the first two eggs and I start sweating it because I realize that I must up the humidity for these 2 eggs, and I don't want it to affect my other 8. My solution to the problem was a deli container I put in the incubator with a lid..The lid was never fastened on, but placed over the container with one side left open a small bit..I placed a small portion size cup in the container with dampened paper towel in the cup this helped to bring the humidity up only in the container, without if affecting the rest of the incubator.

I got home from having Lunch with my Mom today and look what greeted me..I was so surprised I had to do a double take. I wasn't really expecting a hatch today since things seemed so quiet in the bator before I left. Number 14 still has not hatched but it's pecked a hole and is rolling around.

Sorry not the greatest of pictures
43331_grandma.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chick 14 arrived at 2:45 am. Incubator is in my bedroom heard a loud few peeps that woke me from my sleep looked in the incubator and their the baby was all wet and exhausted. This little one is much darker then the other, as well as a bit smaller.

43331_chick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom